Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Use Self Checkout At Stores?

@ECBG wrote:

So far, I've encountered self checkout at Sams, Walmart, and the grocery store.  

I don't use it unless the lines are really, really long and when I did, I didn't like it.

I only use self checkout at Kroger when I have one or two items.  It's frustrating because there is only one cashier open.  The amount of cashier lanes at this store has been cut in less than half.  There are now self checkouts on either side, which has doubled. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

LOVE self-check.

Quick. Easy. Fast. My time is worth it. 

If I do have to go to a conventional line, I always get behind the

little lady wanting to challenge $.25 with a coupon and/or oulls out

her checkbook only after they ring everything up.

Time goes into SlogMode. 

Honored Contributor

I use self check-out every chance I get.  

I always use it when I'm in BJ's, Target, Giant Grocery stores, etc.  Huge carts of groceries, or just a couple of items in my hand, doesn't matter. 

They weren't just installed to cut back on labor costs.  They were installed because there was research that showed customers wanted them. 

1. It makes my overall shopping go so much quicker.
  2. I bag my items the way I want to.
  3. I don't require personal engagement with my cashier, or have to wait for them to finish their conversation with the person before me.
  4. I almost never have to wait in a line to use self check-out machines.  Everyone seems to move quickly to ensure it stays as intended -- a more efficient way of shopping.

Not using them does not mean more people will be hired as cashiers.  We have long been in a day & age where automation has officially changed some industries. It has taken some jobs, but it has also created other ones. 

Honored Contributor

My grocery store does not have self checkout. We do pack our own groceries though.

Esteemed Contributor

No-afraid I will make a mistake. Walmart should have at least 2 cashiers.

Honored Contributor

My local CVS has a self checkout and I use that if I am only buying a few things.  Other than that, I don't use self checkouts.  I'm never in a hurry and there is no reason or incentive for me to avoid the checkout line.  I also don't pump my own gas.  I drive past the self service gas station to get to the full service one.  

Honored Contributor

only ONE TIME>   I had a coupon for a free item and that was all I bought.... lines were long so I asked the helper person to show me how to do the self checkout for the one free item.   But normally I NEVER use it.  I like being waited on.

Respected Contributor

The few times I tried to use self checkout I could never get it to work. I always needed help. So I just don’t bother anymore.

Honored Contributor

As often as possible, i am disappointed that Acme took away the self check outs that were there when it was an A and P. Our CVS here does not have self check and I like them in Target

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

It depends. If I have few items and am in a hurry, yes.

The Home Depot stores near me only have one register open at any given moment and 4 self-checkout registers, so I tend to do it there more often than at the grocery store, but it also makes me dread going to Home Depot. Now that I live closer to a Lowe's, I go there unless only Home Depot carries what I need.