Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Use Self Checkout At Stores?

I almost never use self check out. Firstly, I don't like the idea of automation replacing people's jobs.Secondly, If I'm buying something like groceries I'm spending a lot of money.I expect to be checked out by a human not a machine.I'm paying full price .I expect the service.

Respected Contributor

I do some places - if I have a relatively small order.  I don't like having to stop and bag items because "there are too many items on the conveyer."  And some places only have a very small area for items in the first place.

Then there's always the issue of the machine not recognizing certain vegetables or whatever - and I don't like waiting for someone to come figure it out.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes.

Self checkout it Walmart is often the only option. It is easy and quick. I am generally checking out with just a handful of items.

Self checkout at my large grocery store is annoying- always a problem! Lines at the registers are usually very long because people hate the self checkouts, which is why I use them anyway. 

I always pay with my CC, so that works for automated check out.

Honored Contributor

Yes. I have seen people with huge carts of groceries doing it though which I don't understand.

Trusted Contributor

One of our local Costco stores used to have Self Checkout but it was removed.  While I was checking out, I asked the cashier why they got rid of it because I was able to check out so much faster and more efficiently.  She said it was due to theft and customers not ringing up items correctly.

Well I got home and looked over my receipt - she FORGOT to ring up the $20 cooler which was in my cart.  Had to laugh, their cashiers I suppose were no more efficient.  

Esteemed Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

@resort gal wrote:

I always use self check out. That way I can check prices and pack 

the bags the way I want!

Ditto . I am a stickler abt how I want my groceries packed. I bring my own bags and some have the foil  to keep foods cool . I bought the special bags from QVC.  I always use the self check out . I've had stores clerks throw my fruit around or  they try to stick meat in with fresh vegetables . so I just pack  my groceries in my own bags.  I've also had the clerks scan something more than one time  and I've had to check the receipt .

Also if you use self check out you don't have to be held up by a clerk who's chatting with  the customer in front of you over  just social crape !  I am not tollerant of those who hold up the line with  social  talk when other customers are waiting to get through the line.

@skatting44 

Speaking of bags. Another new thing that the checkout asks "how many of our bags did you use today?" and you get charged 10 cents a bag. No more in the way of plastic bags given to you anywhere here in my neck of the woods, you gotta pay. I always use my insulated Sachi bags but if I forget to take them in the store and want a bag, gotta pay.

Stopped in JoAnn Fabrics a few days ago for some color topped straight pins (making sequined Christmas tree balls) and asked if I want to buy a bag. It's everywhere this getting rid of plastic bags movement.

However I also stopped at Ulta and bought a couple of things and they still give you a bag free that feels like plastic but when I questioned the cashier guy (99% of workers at my ulta are guys) he said they can still give them out because theirs are reusable.

Esteemed Contributor

I used it once several years ago at Meijer and that was the first and last time.  The machine kept yelling at me that I had put things in my cart and hadn't scanned them yet or something like that.  I was obviously doing something wrong but couldn't figure out what.  I left embarrassed, frustrated and with high blood pressure.  I'm sure once I got the hang of it, it would be fine but I have zero interest in figuring it all out.  Besides, on my grocery shopping days, I get up early and go before the stores are crowded  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I depends on the store.

Harris Teeter is the worst.  There is never anyone around to fix numerous issues, and the debit/cash never works on half the machines.

Their cashiers are annoying as hell, too.  Which is why I go there in only dire emergencies.  I'd rather drive 10 miles than deal with that place.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

I used it once several years ago at Meijer and that was the first and last time.  The machine kept yelling at me that I had put things in my cart and hadn't scanned them yet or something like that.  I was obviously doing something wrong but couldn't figure out what.  I left embarrassed, frustrated and with high blood pressure.  I'm sure once I got the hang of it, it would be fine but I have zero interest in figuring it all out.  Besides, on my grocery shopping days, I get up early and go before the stores are crowded  

Yea, it's a learning curve.  The self checkout asks if you brought your own bag which I usually do. Then after you placesomething down in the bagging area , you can rearrange it because it sets off a sensor then it stops you from ringing anything else up . Atleast that has been my experience . I still prefer   the self checkout .

Respected Contributor

Yes, about 90% of the time.  The grocery store I shop has about 60% of their 20 lanes as self check out.  They have it set up and managed very well.  There is always at least one employee, many times two, assigned to the self check out area to resolve problems.  When they are not attending to the machines, they bag at the self check out lines.