Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Use Self Checkout At Stores?

I use them at Sam's Club, Walmart and CVS.

Esteemed Contributor

I shop at  the Army Commissary bi- weekly. They pay baggers in tips only. They are very efficient and fast.

I've only used their self check once when an employee insisted then he left and started checking another person out. Took forever and I won't do it again! 
   The off week I shop Aldi, fast and no self checking. But you do need a quarter for the cart and take your bags. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Reever wrote:

Shame on corporate America for employing these electronic self service devices and eliminating jobs.  For many of us an outing to the store may represent the only social interaction we get all day.  Chats with store managers, cashiers and desk clerks are part of the shopping experience. I personally know my local Kohls manager and we always chat about incoming stock.  The gals at the registers seem to come and go sadly. Decades ago sales people were professionals and often made a career of working in prestigious stores like Macys and Sears. Those days are fading as more Americans become addicted to phones and computers. Young people today seem content with pressing buttons and clicking to order merchandise.  I fear in 20 years brick and mortar stores may become obsolete. 

@Reever 

Don't blame young people with on-line ordering.

People your age and older also enjoy ordering on-line.

Yes, exactly.  And especially for people who are older or have limited mobility,or are housebound because they're caring for an ill spouse, online ordering is a godsend.

It's also a pretty good thing for people of all ages who are busy taking care of their families or working or both.  And of course it's wonderful for those who like to save both time AND money. 

All generations are ordering online - It's certainly not just "young people".

Trusted Contributor

I "PREFER" not to use self checkout because I "BELIEVE" it is taking away jobs from someone.....either a young person or a full time employee.

I believe it saves the company money but I am not gaining anything unless I really want to leave quickly

ONE benefit for ME....when I do use self checkout I double or even quadruple my bags so I have extra bags for lunch, etc.

If I have to BAG my OWN stuff, then I feel I deserve extra bags for MY uses.  I know this is wrong but that is HOW I FEEL....bite me... Smiley LOL

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Valued Contributor

I didn't read through all the comments but here's my gripe.My local Target store just has self check outs.There are no cashiers. They funnel everyone into these long lines and hover about trying to get you to go faster.Once was enough! I tried another store and they had a long line for self check and an even longer checkout for one cashier. Needless to say,I don't shop there often.Every couple of months,they have buy 3,get 1 free on my cat treats so it's a real savings.But other than that sale,that's the only time I go there.I find it too annoying.

Honored Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB wrote:

I "PREFER" not to use self checkout because I "BELIEVE" it is taking away jobs from someone.....either a young person or a full time employee.

I believe it saves the company money but I am not gaining anything unless I really want to leave quickly

ONE benefit for ME....when I do use self checkout I double or even quadruple my bags so I have extra bags for lunch, etc.

If I have to BAG my OWN stuff, then I feel I deserve extra bags for MY uses.  I know this is wrong but that is HOW I FEEL....bite me... Smiley LOL

@Happiness Is Inside JOB  We have no self check outs at our store. But, we do have to bag our own. We don’t need to take extra as we have many. Use them for the cat litter box and save some for my family in Massachusetts to use for their cat litter. No more plastic bags in Mass.

Trusted Contributor

@Estates wrote:

I didn't read through all the comments but here's my gripe.My local Target store just has self check outs.There are no cashiers. They funnel everyone into these long lines and hover about trying to get you to go faster.Once was enough! I tried another store and they had a long line for self check and an even longer checkout for one cashier. Needless to say,I don't shop there often.Every couple of months,they have buy 3,get 1 free on my cat treats so it's a real savings.But other than that sale,that's the only time I go there.I find it too annoying.

WOW....I never knew that some stores have NO Cashiers at all.  WOW....I am surprised to hear of this... I guess i should....get ready...get ready....this might come my way.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

No...the only place I would go where self-checkout is possible is grocer...since I go only once a week and at least 2 full bags, I am not about to self-checkout.  That option does not offer any discount so I utilize the checkout person.  Also have become friends with some of the checkers so I want to enjoy a bit of chat!

Don't know if it is still the same, but some years ago when I visited my sister in the UK, customers bagged their own groceries, and checker had a chair/stool to sit on.

Frequent Contributor

I use self-checkout if it's available. Lines move faster because most of the customers in these lines don't have wagons full of items.

One thing I've learned is that if you're paying cash insert the coins in the slot before you start loading your dollar bills in their slot. Once the dollars are counted it's too late to insert coins.

Also, be patient while the coins are being counted. Today I put in $0.26 and inserted a $10 bill for the $7.26 I owed but the machine only credited $0.25 so it spit out $2.99. I had to call the attendant and explain that I never received credit for the penny I put in. 

It's not that the penny mattered change-wise, it's that I didn't want to grab $0.99 from the coin slot.

Also, Costco uses a blue receipt for self-checkouts instead of the cashier white receipts. I guess it's to alert the exit door checkers to check more carefully. That's a smart move on their part.