Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Use Self Checkout At Stores?

I use self checkout for a few items - much quicker as many stated.

For the ones that say - never or bc they take away jobs 

how many of you use ATMS? instead of a teller?

I don't even like ATMS and try to use a cc only - hardly carry cash

touching cash makes me skeevy

sorry - getting offtrack....

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

So far, I've encountered self checkout at Sams, Walmart, and the grocery store.  

I don't use it unless the lines are really, really long and when I did, I didn't like it.

@ECBG 

No. Never. 

I see them them at WalMart but the grocery store I use doesn’t have them and I can’t imagine them ever getting self-serve lanes. They have excellent CS & I don’t think self serve lanes are a sign of good CS.

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey wrote:

@Yahooey 

I never use ATMs.

Honored Contributor

I do use the self check out at Target, I usually only have a few items and it is quick and easy.  However, on the way out I can't help but think I am replacing someone who needs a job.  There used to be many cashiers but now there are only a few. 

Trusted Contributor

I mostly use self check out for most transactions unless I’m buying a full cart load of food. I like the speed and efficiency of it and like being able to control how my groceries are bagged. 

I don’t feel like I’m contributing to the demise of someone’s  job. Those jobs are already long gone. Most of the time, even in large stores, there are rows of unused and unattended checkouts, while one or two cashiers struggle with trying to keep up with the long lines. Even if I go through a line with a cashier,  I usually end up helping out by bagging the groceries as they’re being scanned to help keep the line moving. 

Trusted Contributor

@Yahooey wrote:

I have used an ATM once I the last decade, because the bank was closed.  

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I use them, depending on the circumstances. If I have a full cart, then I'll wait for a cashier but otherwise I'd just as soon be on my way. i also use ATM's, pump my own gas, use the self-check in kiosks at airports,  and lots of other things that are seemingly abhorent. I can only imagine that any day now I'll disappear into a swirling soup of germs. Smiley LOL

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

I have used self check out at Kroger and Wal Mart. My dh and I went to the neighborhood market wal mart a few weeks ago on a Saturday evening, and it was busy and there were NO checkers working.

We had to use it and we weren't very happy about it, as we had a buggy full of things. If I just have one or two things, its one thing. When you have a bunch of stuff, its a whole other basket of kittens.

Also, there were 2 men, who work there, standing by the wall watching all of us use the self check out and someone asked them WHY one of them wasn't checking, and they said they were just suppose to watch in case anyone had any problems.

Super Contributor

I have once or twice, but never again.  Last time I had a cart full of groceries and an employee said come on over and I will help you.  Well after a few items she left and I was stuck doing it by myself and then I had to bag the stuff.  After I finished, the machine would not take cash!

I also will not shop at a store where you have to pack your own bags.  If it is just a few, then I don't mind.  If it is a whole cart - I think an employee should do it.  After all, I have to bring my own bags.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

I love the ones who will just leave their carts and walk out.

Yeah, that'll show 'em.  lmao

So now one is in a tiff, leaves, the cart, goes home without their food or other items.

Only to have to go back and start all over again either at the same store or elsewhere, and then there are not enough cashiers (again) and using self-check out is morally wrong and round we go.

Gas and time wasted.

Must be an awful lot of people going home empty handed just to prove a point.

I agree!  My time has value, and I can't imagine wasting so much time and energy when I would really only be hurting myself.  Storming out of a store with no groceries, an angry attitude, and having to make time to shop all over again makes no sense to me.  I have no desire to harbor an angry attitude all day over something that was primarily my own fault.

If something bothered me that much I would speak to a manager.  Leaving a cart doesn't convey what the issue is.  And it also results in workers having to deal with the cart and groceries, which takes them away from other things they should be doing. 

As some of us say to young children, "Use your words!".  It's far better to actually complain to a manager (and/or write to Corporate) than leave a cart in some kind of silent protest that isn't clear at all.