Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden   East Coast here and I say idea.  I do have a neighbor, however, that says "warsh" for "wash".  Always makes me giggle.

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Snot gonna take ya long on thee-L

Guess where......

LOL. That's Philly speak for sure.  

Honored Contributor

I've never heard anyone in the Northeast, add an r to words such as idea or soda!

Honored Contributor

I say "idea".  My students always said I was an English teacher, I was not, but I educated the "whole child".

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

@SeaMaiden   East Coast here and I say idea.  I do have a neighbor, however, that says "warsh" for "wash".  Always makes me giggle.

@Citrine1  I grew up with a friend who said WARSH too!  They were from Iowa....could that be why?

Valued Contributor

I'm originally from New Yawk, and we don't put "r's" on the end of any words.Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting, OP. I too am a linguistics nerd.

I'm a native NYer.  When I moved to CA at 42 years old and began teaching there, my HS aged students called me "My Cousin Vinny" because I sounded like Marisa Tomei.  I wish I looked like her, but that's another story.

I think the 'r' at the end of the word is more of a New England thing. Like someone said earlier, NYers leave the 'r's off the end of just about everything.  My son had a girlfriend named Amber and my mom and dad called her "Amba", lol.  I was always an excellent speller, but I remember I spelled the word "propeller" incorrectly in elementary school - spelling it "propella", like "umbrella".  Ha!

After a couple of years in California I noticed that people were no longer commenting on my accent. It turns out I dropped the NY accent for a more generic California accent.  I recently moved to the south east and I'm having a ball with the accent and regionalisms.  I'm sure it won't be long before I sound like a local.  I think some people just take on the accents of those around them.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I grew up in NJ and NY. I don't put an R on the end of words. Idea is idea to me and the people I know. I'm sure some do speak with an R at the end of the word, I just don't know them.ETA, I do say cawfee.

@proudlyfromNJ   LOL. I've been in the south for,70,yrs., but born in NY and around my northern family down here. I will say ya'll and other southern expressions, but cawfee and chawklette give me away every time.

Regular Contributor

I am a born and bred Philly girl who has been transplanted to Cincinnati for 20 years.  I still have people ask me if I am an east coaster because I talk so fast. 

My son's name is Harry and I will never forget when a preschool teacher of his told me they were going to discuss something that rhymed with his name: :"Dairy".  I said, "Oh no you;re not - that is not how his name is pronounced!"  Needless to say, everyone here pronounces it that way and I hate it, I probably wouldn't have named him that had I known it would be pronounced that way,

Cincinnati may be my residence, but it is not my "Home".  Philly will always have my heart and I can't wait until my DH retires so we can move back east!

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Citrine1 wrote:

@Citrine1  I grew up with a friend who said WARSH too!  They were from Iowa....could that be why?

My neighbor was born in Philly and lived here all her life.  I can't, for the life of me, understand why she says warsh.  hahaha