Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Retreat To Your Comfort Zone When Things Get Tough?

I have not had much that I could not handle thrown at me.   But not to say I do not look for advise or comfort of family and friends. I have been blessed with a good support system when needed.  I try not take things for granted.  Sometimes I have to work things out for myself and I do by keeping busy cleaning or taking a walk with my buddy Roscoe  or get some sleep and most times I see things differently.  Never hurts to pray or go to church which is a part of my life and healing.

I think we all need that place or things to give us that calm when we need it.  I have often wondered how some survive some of the things they have had to endure.  My heart goes out to so many.  I have nothing to really cry about when I hear others sorrows.  

Honored Contributor

@on the bay 

The only way I have ever heard of "comfort zone" is when someone doesn't face a reality that needs to be handled and shrinks back, because to act would prove mentally uncomfortable.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG,

I guess I never thought of it in that context and didn't know others did. Now I get all the responses about it as if someone is avoiding facing things.

I've only known it as something nice and well, comforting.

Now I feel like I'm from a different country!😄

(or planet?!)

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@ECBG,

I guess I never thought of it in that context and didn't know others did. Now I get all the responses about it as if someone is avoiding facing things.

I've only known it as something nice and well, comforting.

Now I feel like I'm from a different country!😄

@on the bay 

The differences probably stem up from how the word is used in the area around us.

I heard the term first from a counselor who was speaking of someone who wasn't answering their responsibilites in a relationship and taking the emotionally easier way out of issues.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My so called "Comfort Zone"  is to go to bed early...... about 2 pm in the afternoon..lots of  hot Chamomile tea.. lots of Melatonin and Valarian root herb to make me sleepy.....my iPad... and TV... and vegetate.....zone out for hours, between iPad and reality TV reruns.   12 hours later...Wake up about 3AM in the morning....feeling refreshed and ready to tackle anything!

Honored Contributor

My comfort zone is home.  Just DH, me and the boys 🐈🐈. 

Tomorrow is another day.

Valued Contributor

@Foxxee  I love my special Comfort Zone. It's my little piece of heaven when I need time to meditate, reflect, pray, cry, get myself in check, journal, read my daily affirmations, etc. I'm in no way avoiding anything nor does it make me feel weak. Rather, I'm stronger, peaceful, better able to give and receive, experience joy and in touch with my troubles. I find it sad others don't take time for themselves in a personal Comfort Zone. I've always been comfortable enough to spend time alone with myself. 

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

It is strange to me how many are interpreting this or maybe how I am not? 

Why would a comfort zone mean that you don't tackle or take care of problems or see them through? Maybe I am reading it wrong.

It seems especially when tackling all the problems we human beings have everyday, after trying to fix them and taking care of so many problems, we all need a comfort zone to retreat to or go mad! Then we start again. Like taking a great nap when we are so tired, so we can do it all again, the next day or even moment. A few moments of reprieve in our comfort zone.

@on the bay   I totally agree with you. If I get overwhelmed by bad things in the news, gett oo busy or over extend myself, I need to remove myself and take a break.

It may just be a nap, a cup a tea and retreat to my studio or if I need to, I can meditate or get a massage and zone out.

If the issue/problem needs to be dealt with, I do a better job after thinking, reasoning and resting.

Esteemed Contributor

No, I go into fight mode and tackle the problem until I feel comfortable when its resolved.