Honored Contributor

Do You Often See Small Servings Offered On Menus?

The Baby Boomers are a very large segment of society.

I am always surprised when I go out for lunch that a half or small serving isn't offered on main dish items.

If I meet a friend for lunch and get popcorn shrimp, I don't want leftovers in my car in the heat.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Often See Small Servings Offered On Menus?

They probably don't make enough profit on small portions.  Just offer them for kids to get the parents in for full sizes.  If they offered half sizes they'd have to drastically reduce the price.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

No. But I will frequently order an appetizer as my entrée. Restaurants always serve more food then I can consume at one sitting.
Esteemed Contributor

@cody2 wrote:
No. But I will frequently order an appetizer as my entrée. Restaurants always serve more food then I can consume at one sitting.

@cody2  I have been ordering apps for my entree for many years. Sometimes, we split several apps at the table, so I just can't eat a full-sized entree after that. It's a fun way to try different things. When we go to a red gravy Italian place, I usually order the mussels marinara or with white wine app. as my entree. That, with the passed Italian bread is plenty for me.

I started thinking about appetizer as an entree when my oldest was a little boy. I would order him shrimp cocktail and fries if we were at a fancy restaurant. He was happy. 

Honored Contributor

not everywhere, but we do go to restaurants that have lunch sizes and dinner sizes. we also go to restaurants that have "small plates" or mezze/tapas style dining offered. 

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I usually bring home my leftovers for another meal.  At the Mexican restaurant I'll order an a la carte Tostaguac and that fills me up.  I don't care for the spanish rice anyways.  I do like refried beans, but don't need them.  I'm happy as long as I get my guac.  

I'll sometimes do an appetizer, but usually want a side salad to go with unless it's a substantial app like quesadillas.  Crab Cakes make a good appetizer/meal depending on the size.

We rarely go out for dinner anymore.  I prefer just having a large lunch and then skipping dinner.

Respected Contributor

90 percent of the time I end up taking half or more of my entree home.

Some restaurants near me offer entrees for those 55 and over.

Those entrees are smaller in size. 

When I was working and would go out for a quick lunch, I would order the kids meal.

Esteemed Contributor

I normally order what I wish to eat and then bring the rest home to eat another day.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many nearby restaurants have dropped their lunch offerings, and their dinner entrees are now the size of the former lunches or close. A "small plates" restaurant closed. One Mexican restaurant fills those 8" round takeout aluminum dishes about 1/4 full, and those cost $15-$20 without any extras. 

These are local casual family owned places. Chain restaurants probably get better wholesale prices because of their buying power. I try to support small local restaurants as best I can. They must be struggling. 

Esteemed Contributor

Some of our local restaurants offer smaller portions for lunch, such as soup and a 1/2 sandwich.  When DH and I go out to eat, I always like to share an appetizer.  We order a full entree then take it home with us.  Many times we have plans after dinner to stay out so I always take an insulated bag with a couple of frozen blocks in it to store the leftovers in.........this comes from a habit formed while living way out in the woods for many years.  Have cooler, will travel, LOL!