Valued Contributor

Re: Do You Mix And Match Furniture?

If and when you ever “start over,” have you thought about a large sectional?

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

You will not like a loveseat.

It's really not big enough for 2 people comfortably.

Either get another couch or 2 comfy chairs.

Personally, I have 2 matching couches, hubby picked them out.

They are goners as soon as I can purchase what I want.

@software  ITA w/ your statement about loveseats. My sunroom has a sofa & loveseat (matching fabrics). No one sits on the 2 cushion loveseat unless they’re planning to cuddle....it’s way too small for comfort. I’m replacing both w/ a neutral sectional sofa next year. I like those main, large pieces in a room to be neutral so accent colors, paint, etc. can be changed w/ little expense. 

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@moon_gazer  Have never had a matched set. Have always bought piece by piece; waiting until the right thing "spoke to me" before purchasing. It takes time and thought to put a lovely room together with color, textures, scale and woods to avoid boring rooms. My living room has a sofa (slightly curved), a love seat, two wing back chairs, an antique Victorian chair w/o arms which has an upholstered seat to match the dining chairs, another Victorian chair with lovely curved arms and down-filled upholstered seat to match the drapes and a small family rocker (walnut). Tables are a mix of Victorian (walnut) and Queen Ann (cherry). A lot of original art work by local artists, pieces picked up on vacations, and inherited pieces.  The gas fireplace is large and each conversation area within the room is easily able to view a fire.  I've never had a TV in a living room in any home. Nothing is matched by choice!  (No florals or throw pillows, either!)

@BirkiLady  I agree that a room should look “collected” over time, even if you purchase everything the same day.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus  My brain would be like a jumbled Rubik's cube if I tried to put a living room together in one day!! Any other room? Piece of cake. Smiley Embarassed

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Shanus  My brain would be like a jumbled Rubik's cube if I tried to put a living room together in one day!! Any other room? Piece of cake. Smiley Embarassed

@BirkiLady  Me, too. I start w/ the major pieces like sofa and then just add/collect as I find things.

Respected Contributor

I always mix my furniture. I like a 'collected over time' look....much more personal. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ShanusAble to do that in any other room if I had to. Has never worked in the living room for me! I need time for the individual items to "speak to me". Probably because of the inherited pieces and I'm cautious about scale and textures of fabrics. I love beautiful materials and woods!!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I would not replace the loveseat with another one; usually sofas and loveseats are a set; I would get two matching chairs instead; or slipcover the loveseat and the sofa if your budget is tight.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have a matching sofa and recliner chair but the third piece in our living room is an antique rocking chair.I would not like 3 matching upholstered pieces.