Super Contributor

Do You Mix And Match Furniture?

I bought a new sofa and matching loveseat about 8 years ago. It is that faux leather stuff and now the "faux" leather is beginning to peel off on the loveseat - looks horrible. I will never buy that again. I am thinking about a neutral colored fabric loveseat. I have hardwood floors and think it would add a little diversity to my overall den decor and bring out the ivory/beige color in my rug. Just not sure that it will look right with the sofa. Any thoughts?

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Mix And Match Furniture?

@moon_gazer

Can you do two chairs instead of a loveseat?  I think that would probably look better.  

Honored Contributor

Yes, I mix and match, It is functional for me, not a decor item. I do like 2 couches instead of a loveseat/couch.

Honored Contributor

I think you got 8 years out of it and it is faux leather, it wasn't meant to be life long furniture.  I think you did well.  I actually opted for a neutral color fabric sofa when we decorated this condo.  It's close to the same color as the carpet (light tan), the walls are off white and intendef for it to be a "blank canvas".  My color came from the two occasional chairs (deep red/maroonish print) and my dining area chairs which are a deep red leather.  Pillows and decorator items add color too.  I don't like a matchy-matchy look in my rooms.  I want a home that is unique to us, I don't want rooms that look like a furniture store display.  

Respected Contributor

Sure. 

Pick out a pattern perhaps that coordinates with both the solid leather and the rug also.

Corordinate vs matching. If you do not want a pattern of some sort, pick a solid color that you like to use in the decor and pick up on that - blending it all together. There is no set rule or need to have matching anything for an overall pulled together room. Have fun with it. There are a lot of people that buy all separate pieces, and the chair (s) and/ or loveseat will be something entirely different.

-Texas Hill Country-
Super Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@moon_gazer

Can you do two chairs instead of a loveseat?  I think that would probably look better.  

Well, it is a big room and I already have one "real" leather recliner, so I don't really want more chairs.

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Honored Contributor

I don't like matchy matchy furniture at all.  My furniture all looks good together but doesn't match.  I agree with the two chair idea instead of a loveseat.  Even if you have a leather recliner I think two chairs with a small table between them would look better than a loveseat.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I also do not care for matchy matchy.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

Last winter I replaced 2 leather recliners which matched a leather sofa -  had purchased them all at the same time, but used the chairs far more than the sofa.  To your question, though -  I kept the leather sofa and bought two fabric chairs in a modern print.  The background is nearly the same cream color as the sofa and the room looks more interesting than it did before.  One note-  the chairs sit across from the sofa, not next to it creating right angles.

Regular Contributor

My home is eclectic , works for me .