Honored Contributor

Do You Lose Your Apps With A New Phone?

I need to get a new iPhone.  Will I lose my apps and have to start over?  I have a calendar app that I particularly don't want to lose the information from.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Lose Your Apps With A New Phone?

You phone should automatically be backing up to the cloud. once you register the phone all of your info will appear on the new phone

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNackWhen I broke my iPhone and had to get a new one, the AT&T rep migrated everything (including all my apps) over to the new phone.  All the apps worked as they had on my old phone, meaning all the info was still there within each app.

Honored Contributor

Thank you @I am still oxox  and @Mj12 !

-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

You phone should automatically be backing up to the cloud. once you register the phone all of your info will appear on the new phone

That's not true. You can opt out of the Cloud if you care about privacy. 

Honored Contributor

There is an app called transfer wizard which you download to both the old and new phones.  It will transfer all of your apps.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

@NickNack, make sure your iPhone has been recently backed up. When you’re setting up your new phone, it will ask if you want to set up as a new phone, set up same as your iPhone, or set up as another Apple device (if you have one). Choose set up same as your iPhone and your apps, contact info, calendar, notes, and everything else should be on there (as long as you have it going to your cloud). There might be some apps that aren’t supported on the newer updates but that’s rare. Hope this helps. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

Yes.  It only backs up onto the Cloud if you want it to.  

Esteemed Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

Apple will allow you 5GB of free storage. I would make sure that data is, backed up to the cloud.

Your cell phone provider should have information about transferring data and activating a new device.

Where do you store data, if you opt out of free storage? 

Honored Contributor

Thank you so much everyone.  My phone backs up to the Cloud every night when I charge it, so I guess I'm safe as far as keeping my apps.  

-Henry David Thoreau