Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Know Anyone Who Posts?

I suppose the Q wants to avoid lawsuits by prohibiting personal contact. If an interaction goes wrong that originated here they could be named.

Honored Contributor

I like the anonymity here.  You don't have to worry about your opinions offending someone you may know.  I once grew very uncomfortable when two posters pinpointed each others locations to a spot very near here.  Now that isn't allowed.  Remember the Nurse Recruiter story?  Prime example of why one shouldn't get too chummy. 

Respected Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I like the anonymity here.  You don't have to worry about your opinions offending someone you may know.  I once grew very uncomfortable when two posters pinpointed each others locations to a spot very near here.  Now that isn't allowed.  Remember the Nurse Recruiter story?  Prime example of why one shouldn't get too chummy. 

@depglass

How could we forget Nurse Recruiter?  Her name should have been Ponzi Scheme Recruiter.

Then there was the queen of shopping/posting in the fashion and handbag forums.  She said she was from NJ, owned everything on both QVC and HSN. (even managed to receive items in sizes that were nver made)  She owned every D&B bag in every color.  I remember something about posters ordering for her.  She was exposed for what she really was, dishonest.  I think shopping and queen were in her original name.

Years ago I met a fellow poster.  She frequented the shopping forum and shared that she worked at a store in the King of Prussia mall.  Because my father lived nearby, I sometimes shopped there.  One day a SA seemed to fit her description.  I asked if she posted here.  She did.  She was a lovely person, just as she was here.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I suppose the Q wants to avoid lawsuits by prohibiting personal contact. If an interaction goes wrong that originated here they could be named.

@occasionalrain  I agree.  We used to have (and still have) posters who believe that everyone is stalking them; couple that with Coporate receiving complaints about "stalking" and the decision to not allow emails is understandable.

I remember one poster threatening a lawsuit years ago.

PM's would be nice but the same thing could happen-pm's get exposed just as some private emails did years ago.

Then the usual round of sides and fights-just not worth it.  As much as there are still some posters I would love to meet offline, it isn't going to happen anymore.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@occasionalrain

Not too sure why QVC would be liable if 2 consenting adults choose to share their personal information. That is how I was able to meet 2 very wonderful people, in person, and that was years ago. We still are good friends, including my wife and her husband, nothing but a positive experience for all of us.

To my knowledge of the law, a verbal and written contract, to which both adult parties agree, is between them, not the manner in which they met. Not even close to being a legal scholar, but hey, I have watched many real trials on tv. Oh, almost forgot, I sat on 9 different Jury Panels, 6 of which I was the Foreman(that was the term used at that time), not Foreperson.

I like meeting people face to face and it makes no difference to me if we share anything in common. That is what makes life interesting, at least it does for me.

People share everything on FB and Twitter, are there any court cases where either of them was found liable for some litigious people that decided to sue because of, in my opinion, their bad judgement?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

No.

Respected Contributor

Hello, @Jackhound Mom... I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, Linda. Deepest condolences to you and all who loved her. 🌹

As others have kindly explained... it used to be that we were permitted to share email addresses here. During that time, I did share my throw-away with some. Of those, I have been fortunate enough to meet several in person. I count them all as dear friends. Nothing bad ever happened ~ not to suggest that it couldn’t have. I know of some here who have had terrible experiences. As others have implied... I agree that QVC would likely not care to be mentioned in any potential lawsuits resulting from those. Not that they'd be liable themselves ~ just “bad” publicity and expense,  though it's really our own personal responsibility until someone crosses the legal line. 

I'm sorry it's now forbidden for others, such as yourself, who would be interested in making private contact with those you bond with here on the forums. Never-the-less, companionship here is possible even if just posting pals. I feel very fondly about some here who I don’t know on a more personal basis, and never will ~ including you. ❤️ 

I find you caring, helpful and supportive. Just as in the real world, we'll find disagreements here. I try not to personalize those since views are as varied as people are. I hope none of your neighbors are targeting you for harassment on these forums, since you are having problems in your current neighborhood. I continue to pray that you and yours are out of there soon. In the meanwhile, I would be cautious about what I share here. One need not even be a member to read these posts. So if you wouldn’t say it directly to their face... perhaps don’t publish it here. 

Hugs to you! 

Trusted Contributor

I don't think people here are dastardly criminals who would wreak havoc on anybody they could figure out an address for.

It's probably more dangerous to run out and get milk, and we all have an expectation borne out by experience, that running out to get milk is going to be a safe thing to do.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

I don't know anyone personally on this board, but do from another similar group.  We "met" over 20 years ago through a group about a breed of dog we all had.  Through the years many of us met, sometimes on group trips to New Orleans, New York, and other places.  We have remained friends all this time.

As far as Facebook, I don't have any "friends" on Facebook that I don't personally know.  Some of them are from high school and I haven't seen them in years, but they are personally known to me.  I delete friend requests from anyone else.

I'm the same with Facebook.  My FB friends are all truly real-life friends.  If I don't know them in real life now or didn't know them in real life in the past, then I don't extend or accept friend requests. 

I do wish we had a way to send private messages to other posters here.  I think it would be nice for posters who would like to connect with each other or who are going thru similar struggles to be able to communicate directly and privately.  I don't see any harm in that (there could be an "ignore" feature), and I often think it would be a really nice thing to have.  They have that on a couple of other forums I frequent, and it's a really nice feature.

It would be nice to have a private messenger feature here. It would allow people to converse one on one rather than hijack a thread with excessive personal dialogue back and forth like sometimes happens. 

When I posted about how nice it would be to have private messenging, I hadn't thought of this.  You bring up a good point, and yet another reason why I think it would be good.  I see that kind of thing all the time, and I don't think it should be shut down because people who care about each other and want to catch up should be encouraged to do so.  But yes - It does hijack threads when there are a lot of posts that are just really a conversation between two people and everyone else has to scroll thru to see if the thread ever gets back to the topic.

Private messenging, IMO, would help to make this a friendlier place.  I doubt it will happen, though.  These forums seem to be very limited in many ways, and probably always will be.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Lots of forums offer private messenger options.  It's not at all unusual, and there's actually no reason for concern about any kind of liability.