Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Know Anyone Who Posts?

@NickNack wrote:

I don't know anyone personally on this board, but do from another similar group.  We "met" over 20 years ago through a group about a breed of dog we all had.  Through the years many of us met, sometimes on group trips to New Orleans, New York, and other places.  We have remained friends all this time.

As far as Facebook, I don't have any "friends" on Facebook that I don't personally know.  Some of them are from high school and I haven't seen them in years, but they are personally known to me.  I delete friend requests from anyone else.

I'm the same with Facebook.  My FB friends are all truly real-life friends.  If I don't know them in real life now or didn't know them in real life in the past, then I don't extend or accept friend requests. 

I do wish we had a way to send private messages to other posters here.  I think it would be nice for posters who would like to connect with each other or who are going thru similar struggles to be able to communicate directly and privately.  I don't see any harm in that (there could be an "ignore" feature), and I often think it would be a really nice thing to have.  They have that on a couple of other forums I frequent, and it's a really nice feature.

Honored Contributor

I met a poster here.  By her posting, I thought she lived somewhere by me.  I think she was the one who actually posted and asked me.  I was going through my cancer journey at the time.  She met me at the hospital a couple times when I had treatments.  We've been to lunch about a dozen times.  

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan  we used to be able to do that. I just think they don't want people to  get too chummy now , or it might lead to people  becoming polarized ,and fighting about things, according to  group think. It is silly I know, they have the power to stop it, by banning . We really have no power at all

Many friendships were forged, because people were able to contact each other. Gloriajean was just wonderful to me, through Mr Cherry's medical woes. She is the kindest person in the world. I am just sorry she got run out of Dodge. She never hurt a soul, and was nice to everyone

Honored Contributor

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

@Drythe  No, sorry.  Linda & Cary didn't have kids and neither do Dennis & I.

@Jackhound Mom

Thank you for the response.  I have been posting since 2006, and thought I recognized the name, but it is not the same person.

I’m sorry for the loss of your friends.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

@NYC Susan  we used to be able to do that. I just think they don't want people to  get too chummy now , or it might lead to people  becoming polarized ,and fighting about things, according to  group think. It is silly I know, they have the power to stop it, by banning . We really have no power at all

Many friendships were forged, because people were able to contact each other. Gloriajean was just wonderful to me, through Mr Cherry's medical woes. She is the kindest person in the world. I am just sorry she got run out of Dodge. She never hurt a soul, and was nice to everyone

I agree - It is silly.  Some people have managed to be in touch privately by posting their email addresses and then quickly deleting, and by using other tactics.  It's ridiculous that they have to resort to that.  As I said, if they had an ignore or block feature (including "block all"), there would be no harm in it.  Anyone who doesn't want to be contacted wouldn't be bothered.  Only people who wanted to be in touch with each other would be.  I've never seen any kind of problem with this on any of the other forums I frequent.  "Block" and "Report" features, IMO, are all that's needed.  And I've never had to use either.

IMO private messaging would make people feel more connected to these forums, and QVC should see that as a good thing.  But I'm not holding my breath as I doubt it will ever happen.

Respected Contributor

I don't know any posters, & really don't care to. I rarely pay attention to poster names. I have a few people on my Fb friends list, that I've never met, but really don't like doing that. I admin several FB groups & have only accepted some people, due to that, but not many. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know someone who reads the board but won't post because she is afraid of the meanies here. She thinks I'm very brave to post here esp. because of how some posters stalk me and post anything they can to hurt me.

Respected Contributor

@Drythe You are welcome.  Cat Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Yes. A few have my email and I have met 4 who post in person.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

I don't know anyone personally on this board, but do from another similar group.  We "met" over 20 years ago through a group about a breed of dog we all had.  Through the years many of us met, sometimes on group trips to New Orleans, New York, and other places.  We have remained friends all this time.

As far as Facebook, I don't have any "friends" on Facebook that I don't personally know.  Some of them are from high school and I haven't seen them in years, but they are personally known to me.  I delete friend requests from anyone else.

I'm the same with Facebook.  My FB friends are all truly real-life friends.  If I don't know them in real life now or didn't know them in real life in the past, then I don't extend or accept friend requests. 

I do wish we had a way to send private messages to other posters here.  I think it would be nice for posters who would like to connect with each other or who are going thru similar struggles to be able to communicate directly and privately.  I don't see any harm in that (there could be an "ignore" feature), and I often think it would be a really nice thing to have.  They have that on a couple of other forums I frequent, and it's a really nice feature.

It would be nice to have a private messenger feature here. It would allow people to converse one on one rather than hijack a thread with excessive personal dialogue back and forth like sometimes happens. 

I don't personally know anyone here, and for the most part I'm ok with that, and don't feel the need to seek out personal relationships outside this venue with those that participate here, even though I enjoy many of the posters here very much.