Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Enjoy Exercising?

No, but I like the way I feel afterwards. I have done stretches and walking for many years.  I stopped the walking and I am only too aware that I need to start again. My body is telling me "Don't Stop"! 

Respected Contributor

Yes, I enjoy it and look forward to it most of the time. 

This morning will probably be difficult - strength training outdoors (gyms are still closed). We're starting early because of the heat & humidity, but it's already 80 degrees and 75% humidity. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@hckynut   Good Morning, John. I guess you could say this is a lot we have in common. For me exercise, eating healthy, working out (weights, cardio, yoga) is a way of life. Because of gymnastics at an early age and competivly through college, I just do it (Sorry, Nike). 

Since the pandemic, with my gym closed, I've had to be inventive. In Feb. and March, I could do my cardio walking/running with Molly outside, but by the end of April the heat/humidity set in and I had to get out by 6AM. Now in the 90's, I'm on the treadmill, have my own weight stack upstairs and yoga videos on my IPAD. I do vary my workouts every day, so I'm not bored. 

By 8 this morning, I had already walked/run outside (73 degrees), done an arm weight workout and my stretches. I've had my protein shake, too. Another more substantial breakfast follows around 10. I eat smaller meals throughout the day. 

My healthy diet is a habit from childhood, staying below the average weight for my height for gymnastics. I've always watched carbs, sugar and fats because diabetes runs on both sides of my family...both parents, grandparents and brother had it. 

I'm 10 years younger than you and some days, I just don't feel like doing anything, so I let it go. No guilt. I know because the habit is set, I'll wake up the next morning ready to go. I do miss my gym now and scheduled workouts.

To those who don't like to exercise, I'd suggest beginning with healthy eating first. It makes you feel like you're doing something good for your body. That may lead to wanting to take short walks and maybe increase the time. It's been proven that walking burns as many calories as running and just as good for your body.

I think John would agree that just moving every day...even a little...is important. It does become a good habit. 

Honored Contributor

I very much enjoy exercise and for awhile when I was in heart failure after a heart attack, I missed it terribly. I lost a lot of weight recently from shingles and dieting strenuously and beginning to feel better so walking is my new form of exercise ...long distances. I used to do exercise routines but am gradually getting back into them. To lose weight I cut calories but to feel really good I think exercise is invaluable...

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 

Really happy to read this. Sounds like you are doing better than you were awhile back. Are things more under control with your Cardiac issues?

I can't remember for sure, are you also diabetic? Whatever is going on, I am really happy to see this post, and your optimism towards slowly getting back to at least some measure of normalcy, whatever that is these days!

My best to you as always,

JOhn 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Trinity11 

Really happy to read this. Sounds like you are doing better than you were awhile back. Are things more under control with your Cardiac issues?

I can't remember for sure, are you also diabetic? Whatever is going on, I am really happy to see this post, and your optimism towards slowly getting back to at least some measure of normalcy, whatever that is these days!

My best to you as always,

JOhn 🏒

Hi @hckynut . I am doing a lot better and so far no more heart attacks since 2017. The heart failure disappeared on my last echo. Yes, I am a Type 1 diabetic, insulin dependent now for nearly fifty years.

I had a bad bout with shingles leaving me with post herpetic trigeminal neuralgia the past 6 weeks but it is improving every day, so now only using Tylenol at night. It kept me in the hospital, though, until they could get things regulated. It was tough going for awhile with all the doctor appointments and not being able to walk. The meds were terrible for balance and I am glad I no longer need them.

Hope you are doing well in this hot muggy weather. Hopefully, your ice rink will open soon and you can get back to skating again.

Honored Contributor

Sweet baby Jesus no.  I feel much better about myself having done it but I detest everything about it and will find any excuse in the book not to do it.  I don't get any kind of endorphin rush from it.  I hate it all the way through.  

@Mom2Dogs, there are a lot of walking programs on YouTube.  Walking is also my preferred method of excercising too and like you, it's way too hot outside.  However, I hate a treadmill.  I am bored to death on it.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  ahahaha🤣 your response made me laugh.  I love the way I feel after but if I could get the same health benefits sitting in my recliner that would be good with me!

Exercise is a regular part of my day so I just do it but there are days when I wish Incould just get to the day's business without it.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva   So I gather exercising is not something you enjoy, ha, ha!

I have used the Leslie Sansone video on Utube, but prefer to listen to the radio (yes AM radio) while I walk...outside.

I don't have a phone with data or I'd use my phone.  I hope that little radio never dies!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

No I don't and now I finally can stop without feeling guilty! hee hee heee!

I should also add that I have a couple of medical issues that are made worse by exercise: bursitis in my hips and even just walking to the mailbox is very painful. Plus I wrecked my knees on December 30th and they probably won't be repaired any time soon.

Getting older is hell.