Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Enjoy Exercising?

@hckynut wrote:

@freakygirl wrote:

i work out everyday and i never get those highs. i wondered too about those people who do.

@freakygirl 

What do you wonder "about those people that do", of which I am one?  

hckynut 🏒

@hckynut I believe she's referring to endorphins.

Trusted Contributor

I do feel that "high" after walking, but it has been too hot and humid.  Been doing a few miles on the exercise bike instead and don't feel that "high"; yet I feel good that I did something good for myself. 

Respected Contributor

When I do some sort of physical exercise like walking I feel better afterwards with a little more energy for the day.  I don't like exercise in general.  It is boring and I have found it does nothing to help me lose weight.  I just have to limit food to lose weight.  

Occasional Contributor

I need to start haha! I know in the long run it'll do me good to join a gym. I currently live at home with my parents so I'm looking to move into a place that has a gym on site, or at least one nearby, especially since I'm working from home now. 

I don't mind working out, I've just gotta get out of my own head!

Trusted Contributor

@hckynut 

Yes, every day.  I know I shouldn't but I do.  I lost over 50 lbs and feel extreme guilt if I don't do some form of exercise every day.  There have been some days when I couldn't, of course.  However, for the most part, I have been doing this for almost 3 years now to help me maintain my weight.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG  Before the pandemic, I worked out every week day.  When the Y closed, I continued with zoom workouts with my trainer and FB workouts and Leslie Sansone's walking videos for about 6 weeks.  Then, I just seemed to lose interest.  Now that the Y has re-opened, I am finding it difficult to get back, especially since they only have a few classes.  I know that I need to get back to working out because I physically feel that need, but I just cannot get motivated.

I used to run laps and never got runners high.  I am not energerized after my workouts, but, mentally, I feel good.  Maybe that is the key.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I do enjoy it and do it daily.  I do not love it like I did when I was much younger.  After cheerleader, band then drill team in high school I am used to being active every day. Now at 58 I know how bad I feel if I do not do something active.  Plus I do love dessert every night without guilt.  All in all I will be doing something exercise wise until I go home above.  It is just a big part of my life from 6th grade on.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Grade1Teach wrote:

@hckynut 

Yes, every day.  I know I shouldn't but I do.  I lost over 50 lbs and feel extreme guilt if I don't do some form of exercise every day.  There have been some days when I couldn't, of course.  However, for the most part, I have been doing this for almost 3 years now to help me maintain my weight.

@Grade1Teach 

I understand the weight issue. Was the "fat kid" for many years in grade school and 2 years of high school. Will cut this short(short for me). Early '50's not much info on weight loss. Did it on my own at 15. Worked at drive-in restaurant and still managed to lose over 60lbs, food smell, not easy!

Been an athlete pretty much since, in some form or another. Have run hundreds of Road Races from 1 mile to full 26.2 Marathons. 1 of the main things I have learned over the decades about weight control? 

While exercise is part of weight loss and management, it is a small part. What foods and how much is by far the biggest factor in this, and it has to be a permanent way of life. That is my definition when people say "long term". Rest of your life is my definition, not just the period of time.

My meaning of "not every day", does not mean do nothing. Pushing muscles to their max daily leads only to problems. That is why athletes alter upper and lower body routines. Rest is as important as the exercises themselves. 

If a person walks at a brisk pace every day, but not at max exertion level, no problem. Same with ab exercises which should be done daily.

Nothing wrong with easy to moderate exercising every day, that kind of exercise is good both physically and mentally, for most people. I am not 1 of them.

I strive for my best physical fitness level and of course adjust that as the age number increases. For me 5 days a week for Cardio/Strength/Flexibility, alternating muscle groups to gain my max benefits for each. Flexibilty and Abs I do daily, but never Cardio or Strength.

For me I have learned I can control how much I weigh, which I have done for many decades. Weigh 150-160lbs for playing hockey. Weigh 130-135lbs for my Road Running. For the Marathon I weighed 122lbs. Didn't do this via exercise, but by how I much and the types of foods I ate and drank. At 81, I still do it the same way, focus on what and how much fuel my body needs, not how much it might desire.

Thanks for your reply, always enjoy reading other's stories. My best to you,

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

The exercise I like is walking.  It has been entirely to hot to walk the last week so I have not done much.  One it cools off, I'll start in again.  I always feel better after a good walk.

@Mom2Dogs 

Invest in a treadmill.

Honored Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower   We HAD a treadmill and I liked it, but DH needed a bike, as it is easier on his knees....guess what, he rarely uses it...but will use it when I nag him..... and I miss the treadmill.  If the room would have been bigger, we would have kept the treadmill.