Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Carry A Personal Alarm?

My Silky Terriers are my personal alarm (if they don't like you....I probably won't either) and my 24/7 bodyguards. They can smell a rat.....with 2 OR 4 legs.

Honored Contributor

No. Never entered my mind.

Trusted Contributor

@TwinkleBell 

Thank You!

My father was born in Scotland and was brought here young and then served 25 years in the U.S. Army and he was stationed in Italia and met momma. Because when I was born neither had yet naturalized (and eventually both did) and I was born in Italia, I am an Italian.

I came to the U.S. when I was eight. However, my father was stationed back to Italia and Deutschland several times shortly after while I was growing up.

Fast forward: I married a U.S. Soldier and he served 35 years and our three sons also served. Two retired from the Army also and one, the youngest, we lost in Afghanistan.

While I’m legally an Italian, I feel American.

Thougha, mya familya saysa ia stilla have-a ana accenta. lol

Trusted Contributor

@Sage04 

I’m an Italian and not a U.S. citizen.

My parents did naturalize and my siblings and they all actually legally renounced their birth citizenship.

I have not naturalized as I inherited property in Italia and the tax burden would be out of this world if I did and put it on my husband if I died.  If I sell the property (working on it) then all is good and I naturalize.

Valued Contributor

@Malcontent wrote:

@TwinkleBell 

Thank You!

My father was born in Scotland and was brought here young and then served 25 years in the U.S. Army and he was stationed in Italia and met momma. Because when I was born neither had yet naturalized (and eventually both did) and I was born in Italia, I am an Italian.

I came to the U.S. when I was eight. However, my father was stationed back to Italia and Deutschland several times shortly after while I was growing up.

Fast forward: I married a U.S. Soldier and he served 35 years and our three sons also served. Two retired from the Army also and one, the youngest, we lost in Afghanistan.

While I’m legally an Italian, I feel American.

Thougha, mya familya saysa ia stilla have-a ana accenta. lol

~~~~~~

@Malcontent   You're funny!!  I've never seen an Italian-English accent "in type" before heh

THANK YOU for your familiy's multiple generations of Military Service & devotion to our Wonderful, Blessed America.  We are most grateful to your Dad, husband & sons, for their Service, the utmost of which yr youngest paid for us.  Blessings to all of you!

You are indeed a "Gold Star Family!"  many times over...

Our most cherished U.S.  families here!   Woman Happy

Feelings are simply human
How we deal with, ..or express those feelings .. is our choice
. ~ . Please be kind . ~ .

Honored Contributor

Well, now I know what my keychain alarm sounds like.

I was at the grocery store this morning and had my keys in the top part of the cart.  As she moved the cart through to the other side of the checkstand, she pulled up that top part and, somehow or other, it partially pulled the thing out so the alarm went off.

She, I, and the bag boy were all trying to make it stop and it was like the Keystone Kops.  Meanwhile, I imagine others were wondering what the heck was going on.  I finally managed to push the pin the rest of the way back in and it stopped, thank goodness.

What complicated it was that, when she pulled up that upper part of the cart, the keyring got stuck between the steel bars of the cart.

It was LOUD.  It was about as loud as when my house alarm goes off!

Don't want to hear that again any time soon!!

Esteemed Contributor

I once had a job where I got off at 1030 pm and had to walk over a block to get to my car.  I always kept my keys in my fist as a defense.  Otherwise I have occasionally used the alarm that you use inside a hotel door that made a loud continuous noise.

Honored Contributor

How about an alarm system in your bra?

The alarm is kept in a gel substance, shaped around the curve of the lower part of the breast. A brand-new bra designed by an art-school student provides the ultimate in support – with a built-in alarm designed to protect women from rapists and muggers.

An electronic sensor in the bra’s under-wiring detects a racing heartbeat if the wearer feels threatened – triggering a high-pitched noise to scare off attackers.

If it turns out to be a false alarm, she can disarm the alarm by pressing a tiny button on the front of the bra.

Several major firms including Playtex and Gossard are interested in the design and it could be on sale by 2001, London’s Sunday Mirror reports.

The battery-powered alarm bra was invented by Kursty Smith, an industrial design student at the Royal College of Art in London.

“I’ve positioned a tiny button in the center of the bra’s under-wiring which you just press to stop it,” Kursty, 27, said.

“We tested it on the street with a man running at a woman from behind her and it worked brilliantly.

“It would also be useful for elderly women who live at home alone and have a fall.”

The alarm is kept in a gel substance, shaped around the curve of the lower part of the breast, so the woman doesn’t feel it against her skin.

Kursty came up with the idea after talking to friends about their fears of being attacked in the street.

Most felt the personal rape alarms were not ideal because they are usually kept in handbags.

“We will certainly take a good look at this design,” a Gossard spokesman said.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jubilant 

Is that a typo?  It says that it could be on sale by 2001. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags   No, not a typo.  I went back and checked it out.  The article was written in Oct. of 1999.  I didn't catch that.  It was from the New York Post.