Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Carry A Personal Alarm?

[ Edited ]

(thread title)

@ECBG 

Not yet. Not sure what purpose you are suggesting for carrying it. Health or danger.

ETA: Since I see it is for "danger"!  I always have my 9mm alarm with me, except in the most dangerous places, called gun free zones! It is a very loud, and I believe effective alarm, should i ever have the need to use it.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Once you pull this alarm, is it supposed to scare away the bad person? Then, does it go to the police or some other responder? 

Honored Contributor

Not intentionally, I don't see the point.  But I sometimes  use a cane I got from Shophq, I love it.  It's a quad so it's all terrain.  It has an alarm and a light!  I have used the light to search in my handbag for my key fob, to guide me if I'm coming in when it's dark or slick outside. I used it to read a menu once when I forgot my glasses.  The light is a great feature.  The alarm sounds like a car alarm and no one ever pays attention when they hear that sound so the alarm offers me  no sense of security.  I can't even think of any circumstances in which I would need an alarm inside a store.   

Esteemed Contributor

Pepper spray for me. The alarms are kinda useless in a desolate area. Or even in a large parking lot.

Esteemed Contributor

@Malcontent  thank you for the explanation!  

Honored Contributor

I have one but it's clipped on my key ring.   I don't always carry a purse.  I've never tried it, though.  I kind of want to try it to see how it sounds, but I have a hard time dealing with loud noises and it would probably pump my tinnitis times a million.   I wouldn't hesitate to do it if in peril, though!

Esteemed Contributor

@Malcontent wrote:

@ECBG 

While I’m a LPR, I’m CCW and CCWSAFE.

That’s all I need.

@Malcontent  you are so funny lol. Thanks for the explanation for LPR. I thought you meant that a legal permanent resident can't have a personal alarm. I knew what CCW meant so I knew you just being funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Bought one - carried it - but never knew where I had hidden it for that possible dreadful attack.  Is it in the hidden compartment - or behind the credit cards - or - somewhere else?

Plus..... if attacked bad person... would probably grab handbag first and run.   There goes my big loud sounding safety alarm!

LOL

@fthunt  I don't get it. That certainly defeats the purpose. It's the same as having pepper spray and it's in your pocket book. What's up with that? I don't keep my keys or wallet in my pocketbook either. They are in my pocket so any item for protection would also be in my pocket or in my hand.

Valued Contributor

I've started carrying a cross body bag and the alarm is hooked onto the ring that holds the strap to the bag.  The alarm is always handy and if anyone tries to grab the bag, unfortunately, they'll get me with it!  :smileyfrustrated:

Esteemed Contributor

@Malcontent wrote:

@TwinkleBell 

I’m a “Legal Permanent Resident” (LPR).  I’m not a U.S. citizen. I’m an Italian.

@Malcontentcan you obtain dual citizenship or would you have to renounce your Italian citizenship? Google and I aren't friends at the moment so I don't want to ask him.