Honored Contributor

Re: 😊 Do You Agree With This? 😊

YES,on first part,never thought of it before,but that makes sence to me,as to second  one,not sure,yet.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

No, I never have agreed with the concept that what we think we see in others is something we see in ourselves. 

We'd have to be not too bright if we didn't see people, including politicians, who lie and cheat.  That doesn't mean it's a reflection of ourselves.

Honored Contributor

I agree with this partly, but not fully, just because life is not that simple.  We do see things filtered through our own interpretation and our own histories and our own senses, even when we strive to be unbiased.

Quantum physics has taught us that everything is in relationship to everything else.  The viewer of an experiment has an effect upon the experiment.  I am not a physicist so I can't explain it.

I do like this quote:  "We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are."   from the Talmud

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach wrote:

I agree with this partly, but not fully, just because life is not that simple.  We do see things filtered through our own interpretation and our own histories and our own senses, even when we strive to be unbiased.

Quantum physics has taught us that everything is in relationship to everything else.  The viewer of an experiment has an effect upon the experiment.  I am not a physicist so I can't explain it.

I do like this quote:  "We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are."   from the Talmud

@newziesuzie, I read your intriguing question yesterday and wanted to take some time to think about it before I replied to it. 

That said, I came back to your thread today not much wiser... but I really liked @GingerPeach's reply. 

I recently watched a 6-part PBS series called The Brain With David Eagleman. -- In one of the episodes Eagleman talked about how we quite literally "try on" other people's emotions (empathy) but using micro-expressions in order to try to intuitively better understand "the other". 

So while our individual "factual" world are our self-specific results of our own perceptions, they are also influenced by tyring on other people's micro-expressions. lol, and there are probably other factors in the mix as well. 

Wayne Dyer and Deepak Chopra have really opened my eyes to the intrinsic interweaving of... well, everything. Smiley Happy

One of my very favorite quotes is from Nobel Prize winning physicist, Max Plank: 

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look as change.

I first heard the late Dr. Wayne Dyer share Max Plank's quote in one of his PBS specials. -- Keeping  this quote in my mind and body really helps center me, and to rebalance my spirit when necessary. 

newziesuzie, thank you for once again giving me the opportunity to exercise my brain cells. Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I try not to judge people on my perception of a situation alone without getting to actually know the person and situation, I don't think it's fair to me or them. People are in certain  places and circumstances for their own reasons and we should not make assumptions.If you can't be objective for whatever reason then I guess it is a reflection on you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@newziesuzie wrote:

Test pix

Kind of and kind of not.  I think your perception of me does (to a degree) reflect back on who you are. The second question says to me....my reaction to you makes me more aware of me.

It's just how you interpret it.

Honored Contributor

No, I disagree.  All people have to judge others on, especially on the internet where we cannot see expressions or body language, is their words - the way they express themselves. We can only react to what someone says and the way they say it. We can't "know" anyone online any more than that.

In the flesh, we have much more to go on, and often a personal history we know to be true (vs just stated to be true but in reality un-knowable).

And we can certainly be aware of traits, actions and personality (for instance) in others that we do not share. To say for example that we find someone deceitful does not mean that we must of course be deceitful ourselves in order to be aware, i.e. "it takes one to know one." That's just pop psych when one *has* no legitimate response.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@To say for example that we find someone deceitful does not mean that we must of course be moonchilde wrote:

No, I disagree.  All people have to judge others on, especially on the internet where we cannot see expressions or body language, is their words - the way they express themselves. We can only react to what someone says and the way they say it. We can't "know" anyone online any more than that.

In the flesh, we have much more to go on, and often a personal history we know to be true (vs just stated to be true but in reality un-knowable).

And we can certainly be aware of traits, actions and personality (for instance) in others that we do not share. To say TTfor example that we find someone deceitful does not mean that we must of course be deceitful ourselves in order to be aware, i.e. "it takes one to know one." That's just pop psych when one *has* no legitimate response.

**********   It doesn't mean we are deceitful ourselves but we do understand what deceit is because it is within us all to do it if we so choose.  Human beings are capable of the same things as we have the capacity for all the same things.  We may not share some of these traits but the capacity to see it and understand it is there because it is in all of us.

Also, I think there is a difference between judging others and making a judgement call....but that is a whole other can of worms.

Many of these posts, such as this one, are just food for thought and are open to interpretation.   

Respected Contributor

Maybe it would make better sense if
it said,
Your perception of me is "partly"
a reflection of you and
my reaction to you gives me "some"
awareness of myself.

Like when we watch the very same Q
host do the same presentation
but we have totally different reactions
or descriptions of the way they presented?

Or maybe I had a really bad experience with a
person by a certain name and then if I meet
somebody with the same name I feel a bad
way about them at first?

Thanks everybody for the great posts!

👍😊👍

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Regular Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

Yes, our experiences influence how we perceive others.

ETA – for example, if someone is asking for help - one person may view them as a person in need while another person may view them as a person trying to take advantage of others.  Either way, the person is projecting their own thoughts and values onto the other person.  How we perceive others can sometimes speak more about us than them. 

I agree with you @cotton4me. Interesting thread @newziesuzie. Smiley Happy