Honored Contributor

Re: Disposing of prescription bottles

Well, why don't you tell me what is on a Rx bottle that could lead to identity theft?

Honored Contributor

I remove the labels.

Honored Contributor

@151949

People don't need to know what I am taking.

Honored Contributor

@ncascade wrote:

DH says a pharmacy will dispose of them even if you don't purchase from there. Your privacy is protected.

Most pharmacies in my state will not dispose of them unless they are classified as narcotics.  

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Well, why don't you tell me what is on a Rx bottle that could lead to identity theft?

Your name, your address, your meds, your Doctor, your pharmacy. Aren't you the one that walks around with that RFID thing? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have never seen an address on a Rx bottle. 

So what if someone gets your address - it is public knowledge.Ever hear of the phone book? Your county's tax roles online? 

As for the RFID snarky comment  -- yes my credit cards do , in fact, contain information that can lead to identity theft. However Rx drug bottles DO NOT.

I wonder WHY people here are so obsessed that no one  know what drugs they take. 

Trusted Contributor

@151949  I agree with you.    An Rx bottle has name and script # only.    Actually when you go to the pharmacy to pick up your prescription you  have to give you name OUT LOUD  and give your birthdate...  

Honored Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

@151949  I agree with you.    An Rx bottle has name and script # only.    Actually when you go to the pharmacy to pick up your prescription you  have to give you name OUT LOUD  and give your birthdate...  

Well, my prescriptions all have my name and complete address. To pick it up at the pharmacy I must give my name so they know what to give me. Then They ask for address, no birthdate.

Trusted Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ Well someone could be lurking nearby and jotting down your name and address.   My point being we give out our name and addresses a lot in earshot of strangers.     No different.

Honored Contributor

To me, this has nothing to do with identify theft.  It has to do with people being able to learn a whole lot about you by putting bits and pieces together.  Whether it's to steal from you or to wreak some other kind of havoc.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN