Honored Contributor

Re: Disposing of prescription bottles

I loosen the label and it peels off easily- then recycle.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

I used to remove the label.  Now  I just throw them in the recycle bin.  After reading this thread I think I'll start blacking out the label before doing that.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I blackout the label with a big sharpie. Done in a second. Our trash collectors do not have the arms on the truck to scoop up the trash bins. Not that anyone would care about my pills, but there is info on there.

Two of my friends throw away bank statements, cc statements,etc as soon as they look at it or pay the bill. They don't even tear it up. Just drop it in the trash. I keep mine for awhile and then shred.

Honored Contributor

Our labels peel off easily, so they go in the burn trash, and empty bottles go out in the trash that's picked up weekly.   

Honored Contributor

Get a permanent black marker and cross out the info on the bottle including your name.  We live in different times today so you need to be careful.  (I recently received a call from my credit card co. about 2 purchases.  They were not mine so someone used my number.  The credit card co. overnighted a new card/number to me.)  Open the bottle and spill out the pills in the garbage then throw the bottles in the garbage.  Rather be safe than sorry.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

My labels peel off easily.  I recycle empty bottles.  I keep a few of the smaller bottles and fill with OTC meds kept in my purse.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@kivah wrote:

I just throw them in the trash.

@kivah

Me too. Do I care if a trash diver knows what medication I take? Nope! Mine is 99% mail order and having my bottle won't get them much. Other than recycling them, if they do so, my bottles are pretty small, and would do little in that respect.

hckynut(john)

Me three.  ;-)

Honored Contributor

They are recycleable.  I take a big black permanent sharpie with a wide tip and mark out all the information. 

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ Your friends are asking for a heap of trouble leaving sensitive information such as you named exposed.

If your area recycles anyone at the recycle plant can steal their credit card information right off of their statements and go to town, and paper thrown away in the trash is not safe either, they have had report after report about people who dumpster dive or go through the trash at the curbs in residential neighborhoods searching for personal information they can use to benefit themselves by ripping you off!

Any sensitive information should be shredded for their own safety!

Honored Contributor

Just blacken the lables with a black marker and tie them up in garbage bag and toss them.  If your in 007 frame of mind.