Honored Contributor

Re: Disposing of prescription bottles

@hckynut & kivah - I use Walgreens and there you have to know your address and date of birth to pick up your refills on regular drugs and you have to show picture ID and sign your life away to get a narcotic Rx. Thus - just having an empty bottle will not get you a refill.

Esteemed Contributor

@seaswirl, I have always found labels like this peel off rather easily when exposed to heat.

I just hold it up to a small heater for 5-10 seconds to break down the adhesive backing, then starting in one corner, slowly peel the label up, keeping the heat on the area being peeled away. I can always peel it off in one piece in under 30 seconds.

For max security, stick the label to a piece of paper and run the paper thru the shredder.
Bottles are recycled.

Sticky labels usually come off ANYTHING cleanly and more easily with heat, compared to scraping, scrubbing, soaking, etc
Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

I just throw them in the trash.

Woman Very HappyWoman Very HappyWoman Very Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I blackout the label with a big sharpie. Done in a second. Our trash collectors do not have the arms on the truck to scoop up the trash bins. Not that anyone would care about my pills, but there is info on there.

Two of my friends throw away bank statements, cc statements,etc as soon as they look at it or pay the bill. They don't even tear it up. Just drop it in the trash. I keep mine for awhile and then shred.

they don't keep them even just to check the next month?

they should at least get a shredder

I keep my CC statement for a year,

Bank statements not getting rid of,  online statements are only available for 18 months at my bank 

Respected Contributor

Scrap the lables off using a sharp edge (sissors, for example) under running water.  Comes off in little pieces.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I blackout the label with a big sharpie. Done in a second. Our trash collectors do not have the arms on the truck to scoop up the trash bins. Not that anyone would care about my pills, but there is info on there.

Two of my friends throw away bank statements, cc statements,etc as soon as they look at it or pay the bill. They don't even tear it up. Just drop it in the trash. I keep mine for awhile and then shred.

Bank statements not getting rid of,  online statements are only available for 18 months at my bank 

I shred cc bills as soon as I pay them. You can always bring them up online if you need to look back at them. My DH keeps each and every bill he has paid for the last 7 years - he has drawers & drawers of them. Yet, when he needs to look back at a bill he looks it up online! Go figure.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can tear enough of my name and the script number off without a problem and just throw them away.  Many have tape over them so peel off the tape and it'll take off most of the label.  

Honored Contributor

I've tried everything everyone has mentioned but none of it works.   Sharpie covers the printing but you can still see it underneath, I've tried burning off the labels, scraping them, nothing works for me.     We have a locked shred container at work, I can throw the smaller bottles in there, but the bigger ones won't fit.     The slot is too small.    

I don't want anything with my identifying information floating around anywhere.   Partly because I use a public trash can, not a can on my property that only gets put out on trash day.

The next time I pick up a script, I'll ask the pharmacist if they recycle.   If I can't trust my pharmacist, who can I trust??!

@seaswirl

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

No, they say they don't need them. They don't fear identity theft either. I never thought anyone did this and here I know Two different people who do this. They don't want a shredder. They don't even rip them up. I shred everything.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use masking tape to lift the label info off of the container.

♥chocolate lover ♦ audiobook junkie♥