Honored Contributor

Re: Disposing of prescription bottles

@VaBelle35 wrote:

To me, this has nothing to do with identify theft.  It has to do with people being able to learn a whole lot about you by putting bits and pieces together.  Whether it's to steal from you or to wreak some other kind of havoc.

Like what some posters on here, do.

Trusted Contributor

I soak the bottles in warm water so I can peel/scratch the labels off, then I put them in the recycling bin. Our pharmacy, for some reason, uses labels that are IMPOSSIBLE to just peel off.

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@151949

People don't need to know what I am taking.

The pharmacy staff already knows what you're taking since they have access to all of your info on their computer.

Take them contained in a brown paper bag or Walmart type bag and no one but the pharmacy staff sees the empty bottles.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabs wrote:

I soak the bottles in warm water so I can peel/scratch the labels off, then I put them in the recycling bin. Our pharmacy, for some reason, uses labels that are IMPOSSIBLE to just peel off.

This is what I do. Then I put the empty container in the trash.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@151949

People don't need to know what I am taking.

The pharmacy staff already knows what you're taking since they have access to all of your info on their computer.

Take them contained in a brown paper bag or Walmart type bag and no one but the pharmacy staff sees the empty bottles.

I was talking about just throwing the empty bottle in my curbside trash. I like to remove the label first.

Esteemed Contributor

If the label is too difficult to remove, I use the ink roller things they sell here to blackout the label.  They work well.

Esteemed Contributor

@Brooklynny wrote:

@Junebug54 wrote:

My goodness some of you are way too paranoid.   There's not much info on your pill bottle that can hurt you.     Your name... amen.     I'm with those that just toss them in the trash.

All that a determined crook needs is your name and address to wreak havoc on you.

If that's true, then why don't they just use a phone book instead of digging through trash?  

I think what people are looking for when they dig through trash for info are social security numbers, credit card numbers and other sorts of private information.

I worry about just using a black marker to conceal things, because some inks become transparent when the right sort of light is shined on them.  However, I realize that most crooks aren't dedicated enough to their craft to perform forensic examinations on my garbage, so I'm probably overreacting.  

Image result for squirrel detective

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

@Junebug54  But we don't tell strangers that we take medication that is a narcotic or controlled substance as a pill bottle would.  Next thing you know, stranger is breaking into your house to get your pills. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@kivah wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

Me too. Do I care if a trash diver knows what medication I take? Nope! Mine is 99% mail order and having my bottle won't get them much. Other than recycling them, if they do so, my bottles are pretty small, and would do little in that respect.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut

The trash truck just puts down those large arms - and scoops up the BIG trashcan --- no one sees or knows what's in the trash. 

@kivah

@kivah

Trash companies in our area vary in how trash is picked up, and what types of trucks they use to pick up the trash. One of our neighbors put his trash in what looks like 33 gallon trash tubs(not metal), another just puts his out in trash bags.

Since we have 7 indoor only felines, we have heavy weight things we have to handle. Our trash company charges $10 per quarter for the type of container you describe, and that is what we use.

The 2 neighbors I mentioned, use the same company as we do? So the driver does get out to grab bags, and trash tubs. Ours? What you described. Truck arms pick up our big container and the driver never touches it.

hckynut(john)

I believe we have plenty of that heavy stuff you described with our kitties too!

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Junebug54  But we don't tell strangers that we take medication that is a narcotic or controlled substance as a pill bottle would.  Next thing you know, stranger is breaking into your house to get your pills. 

Agreed.  I black out the labels of stuff I don't want anyone else to know about.  I don't need anyone thinking we have some stash to break in for.  I do it on the pharmacy info and receipts for the same reason.

Hyacinth