Trusted Contributor

Re: Disposing of prescription bottles

First of all I guess I misunderstood the question.   I thought we were just disposing of the EMPTY bottle.    Secondly, call me naive but I'm not sure what someone can do with our name and address which is readily available to the general public already.   Even if gave you my name and address right now I wouldn't be concerned.   Except I would get poofed.. LOL..  Everyday we probably mention our name and or address at many different establishments.   Doctor/dentist offices for one.   I'm serious when I ask what can one do with that info?

Honored Contributor

If they're empty, I black out my name and throw them in the trash.  If there are still pills left, I give them to my IT daughter who works in hospitals and she disposes of them there.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

I would not want anyone knowing what medicines are available at an address, due to potential theft.  If thieves dig through the trash and find a prescription bottle that gives that information, they know that is a good place to break into to steal drugs.

I just black out the information with a black marker.  It just takes a couple of seconds.

Honored Contributor

Our pharmacies take them for recycling and they deal with removing the labels.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

First of all I guess I misunderstood the question.   I thought we were just disposing of the EMPTY bottle.    Secondly, call me naive but I'm not sure what someone can do with our name and address which is readily available to the general public already.   Even if gave you my name and address right now I wouldn't be concerned.   Except I would get poofed.. LOL..  Everyday we probably mention our name and or address at many different establishments.   Doctor/dentist offices for one.   I'm serious when I ask what can one do with that info?

It's a different world now-it was my physician who asked me not to dispose of medication bottles-It isn't about identity, but addiction breeding desperation in others-Our names are on the bottles, (easily trackable) the type of meds and refills-which indicates drugs for those who are desperate to find them-

I recycle any med bottles and unused meds with the pharmacy and my pet meds (which are mostly human meds) are returned to the vets for proper disposal-

Gentle reminder, please don't dispose of meds by flushing, they find their way into our eco systems.

Honored Contributor

If you have the types of drugs that someone may desire to steal it would be a good idea to return them to the pharmacy for disposal. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Junebug54 wrote:

A lot of people on this board are very paranoid.

Honored Contributor

Many years ago, I dated a private investigator.  He used to steal people's garbage all the time when he was investigating someone.  You can find out a whole host of things about a person, their habits, their schedule, places they frequent, patterns.

You can bet I shred everything and anything and I also take stuff to work to dispose of there so my neighbors/thieves don't see empty boxes, etc.

I've had my garbage stolen a few years ago.  I was doing a major purge and what I couldn't donate I threw out.  It was the last time I threw out my garbage at night.  When I opened my front door the next morning, all of my bags were gone.

I also found out where my sofa and loveseat went when I put them out for trash pick up.  Someone picked them up over night before the garbage truck arrive.  A few years later I was looking at the listing for a house on the street behind mine and they had interior pictures and in their living room was my sofa and loveseat.  It was very old (sage/white stripe) so the chances of someone having the exact same set were slim to none.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

DH says a pharmacy will dispose of them even if you don't purchase from there. Your privacy is protected.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.