Super Contributor

Disposing of prescription bottles

We have so many empty prescription bottles because I don't know how to get rid of them securely.  The labels do not come off no matter what I do...goof off, WD-40, soaking. How do you get rid of your old prescription bottles?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Disposing of prescription bottles

I just throw them in the trash.

Honored Contributor

I have a big, oversized magic marker I got at Walmart with which I blacken the labels. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

If you're concerned about the labels being exposed in the trash, you can black out the info on the label as you would with any information you don't want shown. Actually I remove the labels and fold them up into a small wad.  I also use the bottles (after the labels are off) for things like buttons, push pins, etc. I've never had trouble removing the labels if I start at a corner and move slowly.

Respected Contributor

The labels come off of mine pretty easily.  If I can't peel them off, usually soaking them in warm soapy water helps (in my case.)

I think as long as you can at least scrape off your name and doctor name, you should be ok.

I throw mine in the trash, because, unfortunately, my local recycling does not take them.

Have you tried calling your pharmacy for any tips?

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@kivah

Me too. Do I care if a trash diver knows what medication I take? Nope! Mine is 99% mail order and having my bottle won't get them much. Other than recycling them, if they do so, my bottles are pretty small, and would do little in that respect.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@kivah wrote:

@kivah

Me too. Do I care if a trash diver knows what medication I take? Nope! Mine is 99% mail order and having my bottle won't get them much. Other than recycling them, if they do so, my bottles are pretty small, and would do little in that respect.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut

The trash truck just puts down those large arms - and scoops up the BIG trashcan --- no one sees or knows what's in the trash. 

Honored Contributor

My labels peel off easily.  I try to leave the smallest footprint I can.

Honored Contributor

I sew a lot so I often can find uses for old Rx bottles.Pins. Thumbtacks. Rubber bands. paperclips.Buttons. Sewing machine needles, bobbins ,regular needles. Our pharmacy will also take them back if you have pills to dispose of.

Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

hckynut(john)

@hckynut

The trash truck just puts down those large arms - and scoops up the BIG trashcan --- no one sees or knows what's in the trash. 

@kivah

@kivah

Trash companies in our area vary in how trash is picked up, and what types of trucks they use to pick up the trash. One of our neighbors put his trash in what looks like 33 gallon trash tubs(not metal), another just puts his out in trash bags.

Since we have 7 indoor only felines, we have heavy weight things we have to handle. Our trash company charges $10 per quarter for the type of container you describe, and that is what we use.

The 2 neighbors I mentioned, use the same company as we do? So the driver does get out to grab bags, and trash tubs. Ours? What you described. Truck arms pick up our big container and the driver never touches it.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)