Respected Contributor

Disney Cruise line question.

Has anyone here taken a Disney cruise and used the internet available in the staterooms?  I work at home and, unfortunately, take my computer on vacations because I  need to continue working; I'm self employed.  I need to know if the speed is sufficient to work  on-line.   Our vacations are arranged around being able to work while we're away, so a good internet system is necessary.  I've worked in Italy and Ireland with no problems, but have heard the Disney ships' internet isn't the best.

If you haven't had to work, but used social media while on a cruise, it would help to know your experiences.   Was it terribly slow, etc.?

Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Disney Cruise line question.

[ Edited ]

The Internet on a cruise ship is run by satellite. The service can be quite slow. It depends on the ship's location. I just write emails offline and then post to my account.  The service is expensive. You should check the price on Disney's site or call their CS.

The cost of a data plan

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/services/internet-phone-services/#wifi

Respected Contributor

Just remember, it's not 100% guaranteed you will be able to use the internet at all.  If it works, great.

Respected Contributor

we went on a disney cruise -i think it was for 4 days then 3 at disney world. you are in port part of that time, so the connections might be better than when you are at sea. we went before the internet was a must have.

Valued Contributor

nutmeg3 is correct. You may want to post this question at www.cruisecritic.com. Click "Community" and then "Message Boards." You may get feedback from recent Disney cruisers. The Internet on ALL cruise ships is via satellite. Speed and bandwidth run slowly! Don't even try to Skype or FaceTime! Last month I was on the Seabourn Quest and in March I was on the Ruby Princess. On both these cruises, and in past years, while reading or sending emails, I frequently lost connection. I can't imagine trying to do work! The Internet connection on cruise ships is usually not great -- the connection is frequently lost and in some cases Internet may not be available at all. Last month, the ship had no internet for 3 days! I usually compose my emails offline, sign in and then cut and paste in order to save time on line and hopefully get it done before losing connection. Many cruisers don't use Internet on a cruise ship and when in port will find a Starbucks or a similar-type of cafe with free wifi (1) to avoid Internet costs on the ship, and (2) to get better Internet connection. HTH and good luck.
Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone!  I wondered why Disney would even offer the $89.00 for internet in the staterooms if it's so bad.  This connectivity issue seems like the cruise industry is lagging behind in technology.  Cars travel much faster than ships and internet connection and speed is wonderful.