Honored Contributor

Re: Direct TV and absence of 2 local channels

[ Edited ]

@Group 5 minus 1 

Over time we had this problem with 2 of the Major National Networks. The locals were not responsible, it was those Networks that could not reach a contract settlement with our Satellite Network. The local stations had no control over what DirecTV and the Major Network were negotiating.

During the 1st one, with ABC Network, I installed an antenna to our TV sets and watched the locals over-the-air broadcasts on the ABC shows. It was ABC negotiating with Dish Network that was the reason for the locals not broadcasting via our Satellite Network.

An antenna was a simple and cheap solution. This is why every Cable and Satellite Network drops or changes networks your receive with their service. Of course the programming one chooses can also be a factor. We can choose to drop our local programming with Dish if we choose to not buy the package that includes them.

I have seen this topic in the Electronics Forum many times over the years I have been on this Bulletin Board.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Regular Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

We lost NBC a few weeks ago.  I am not happy although the only shows we watched were the Chicago (PD, Med and Fire) shows.

I will not be happy of we lose ABC as we prefer it for local news and we watch more on that channel.

I guess we can do some sort of antenna for them but I don't want the hassel.

For what we pay a month I want all the major ones but they are driving the bus so to speak.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

We lost NBC a few weeks ago.  I am not happy although the only shows we watched were the Chicago (PD, Med and Fire) shows.

I will not be happy of we lose ABC as we prefer it for local news and we watch more on that channel.

I guess we can do some sort of antenna for them but I don't want the hassel.

For what we pay a month I want all the major ones but they are driving the bus so to speak.

We lost NBC on July 4!  We watched Red, White and Boom on July 3rd and BOOM....at midnite NBC was gone!  Did not expect it to be off this long and now that football is starting, my husband is getting upset.  Like you, we watch ABC quite often and especially for the news so we have our fingers crossed that we don't lose it, too! 

Respected Contributor

We are on the east coast and the same channels have not been available for months. Directv keeps stating they are negotiating with the broadcaster but I doubt this. I called to cancel services and they gave a discount that I can live with (at least for another year). After that I will be switching.

I started off with Comcast and got tired of all of the service interruptions and outages...did not want to keep paying for services that I was not receiving. I do have Comcast internet and phone services and like the internet but don't care for the phone (voice) services. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lilac lover wrote:

We lost NBC on July 4!  We watched Red, White and Boom on July 3rd and BOOM....at midnite NBC was gone!  Did not expect it to be off this long and now that football is starting, my husband is getting upset.  Like you, we watch ABC quite often and especially for the news so we have our fingers crossed that we don't lose it, too! 

@lilac lover 

Might keep your husband from losing it if he reads my other post. Unless you live out in the toolies and cannot get an over-the-air broadcast, he/you might consider what I did each time we lost Major Network programming via Satellite.

I love hockey, but not enough to get very upset over certain unavoidable situations. Usually I find a way to deal with things like those that are not that serious a situation in my life.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Nexstar Media Group is very likely to blame for the loss of local network broadcasts. They own over 170 stations nationwide and are feuding with Direct TV and AT&T U-verse TV. If the local station that you lost was cut off in early July, and you have TV service from the previously mentioned providers, it's probably part of the Nexstar empire. 

My local NBC station, WOOD-TV out of Grand Rapids is part of this, and boy, are their affected viewers HOT. They keep posting notices on Facebook telling people to call Direct TV and AT&T and DEMAND that the station be returned, but it's Nexstar that's the culprit. 

Here's a map that'll help show if your local station is part of the group:

https://www.nexstar.tv/stations/

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~