Trusted Contributor

Re: Dillema About a Nosy Person

depglass wrote:

We had a neighbor like this.  In regards to my social security I used to say, "You know, I'm not really sure.  The check just comes into the bank and all my bills are on auto-pay, so it just goes onto the house payment."  When asked how much DH makes, I said "He works in different jurisdictions and all union contracts are different.  I don't even pay attention to how many hours he works every week."  "As long as the bills are paid and nothing bounces, I'm just fine."  And I was. 

After my dad died and I sold the house, I had a neighbor ask,so what'd you get for it.  He darn near fell over when I said, the going rate, if you'd like more specifics maybe the new owners will want to share with you. 

Valued Contributor

I think nosy people get away with continuing to be that way because others aren't direct with them. If you just say that's personal and I don't want to discuss it maybe that will do the trick. If it doesn't get a fly swatterSmiley Very Happy

It's unreal how nosy some people are, there is such a lack of tact and boundaries these days.

"Stay afraid but do it anyway"-Carrie Fisher
Honored Contributor

greeneyedlady wrote:

I think nosy people get away with continuing to be that way because others aren't direct with them. If you just say that's personal and I don't want to discuss it maybe that will do the trick. If it doesn't get a fly swatterSmiley Very Happy

It's unreal how nosy some people are, there is such a lack of tact and boundaries these days.

When we first bought this house, I mean  as soon as we were in the house (!), a neighbor from a few houses up the street came knocking on the door.

We were painting the interior so everything was torn apart.  They said that they had always wanted to see the inside of this particular house and pretty much just pushed their way through.  Whaaaaat?

Of course, my husband being the pushover that he is, let them in to tour the house, amid the mess and paint cans, ladders, etc.

I can't even imagine showing up at somebody's house uninvited ANYWAY, but that was beyond the pale.

Esteemed Contributor

"I don't care to talk about that,"  "that is personal,"  and "why do you ask,"   I think now you have the idea.  If she doesn't take the hint, cut in and start asking her personal questions.  Turn it back on her.  Don't you hate busy bodies?  Cat Very Happy

Let's Stay in Touch

* *You're signing up to receive QVC promotional email.
Connect with Us

The scoop on everything Q, from helpful tips to interesting tidbits, questions, answers, and more.

QVC is not responsible for the availability, content, security, policies, or practices of the above referenced third-party linked sites, nor liable for statements, claims, opinions, or representations contained therein. QVC's Privacy Statement does not apply to these third-party web sites.

© 1995–2016 QVC, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademark Notice

Desktop View Mobile View