Honored Contributor

Re: Dillema About a Nosy Person

@depglass wrote:

We had a neighbor like this.  In regards to my social security I used to say, "You know, I'm not really sure.  The check just comes into the bank and all my bills are on auto-pay, so it just goes onto the house payment."  When asked how much DH makes, I said "He works in different jurisdictions and all union contracts are different.  I don't even pay attention to how many hours he works every week."  "As long as the bills are paid and nothing bounces, I'm just fine."  And I was. 

After my dad died and I sold the house, I had a neighbor ask,so what'd you get for it.  He darn near fell over when I said, the going rate, if you'd like more specifics maybe the new owners will want to share with you. 

Honored Contributor

I think nosy people get away with continuing to be that way because others aren't direct with them. If you just say that's personal and I don't want to discuss it maybe that will do the trick. If it doesn't get a fly swatterSmiley Very Happy

It's unreal how nosy some people are, there is such a lack of tact and boundaries these days.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

greeneyedlady wrote:

I think nosy people get away with continuing to be that way because others aren't direct with them. If you just say that's personal and I don't want to discuss it maybe that will do the trick. If it doesn't get a fly swatterSmiley Very Happy

It's unreal how nosy some people are, there is such a lack of tact and boundaries these days.

When we first bought this house, I mean  as soon as we were in the house (!), a neighbor from a few houses up the street came knocking on the door.

We were painting the interior so everything was torn apart.  They said that they had always wanted to see the inside of this particular house and pretty much just pushed their way through.  Whaaaaat?

Of course, my husband being the pushover that he is, let them in to tour the house, amid the mess and paint cans, ladders, etc.

I can't even imagine showing up at somebody's house uninvited ANYWAY, but that was beyond the pale.

Honored Contributor

"I don't care to talk about that,"  "that is personal,"  and "why do you ask,"   I think now you have the idea.  If she doesn't take the hint, cut in and start asking her personal questions.  Turn it back on her.  Don't you hate busy bodies?  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@depglass wrote:

We had a neighbor like this.  In regards to my social security I used to say, "You know, I'm not really sure.  The check just comes into the bank and all my bills are on auto-pay, so it just goes onto the house payment."  When asked how much DH makes, I said "He works in different jurisdictions and all union contracts are different.  I don't even pay attention to how many hours he works every week."  "As long as the bills are paid and nothing bounces, I'm just fine."  And I was. 

After my dad died and I sold the house, I had a neighbor ask,so what'd you get for it.  He darn near fell over when I said, the going rate, if you'd like more specifics maybe the new owners will want to share with you. 

Funny thing about home sales - I'm in VA and I imagine it's like this other places as well but real estate transactions are posted in the local paper - by address not by name about a month after the sale.  If one misses that - most counties here have the GIS system which is your real estate assessments year by year and all the information on a particular addresses within the county.  

I know this bc when I had my home put into a trust I was told to go to that site and make sure the information was actually posted online so that wouldn't be an issue when I died.  You can see all information from the point the home was built up to present time - beds/bath, improvements to home, etc.   

Trusted Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

Is it possible this person is looking after her male friend?

@missy1  If her way of 'looking after her male friend' is to be rude and ask personal questions - she is looking after herself.  Why doesn't this rude friend ask her male friend the questions ? 

Refer the rude person to your Gentleman Caller.  

Esteemed Contributor

THis woman has evidently gotten away with this sort of behavior for years because people have never called her out on it.  SHe is either very rude or totally socially inept.  IN either case it is not up to you to analyze why she is asking these personal questions.  WHo cares if she was friendly with your mate's first wife?  THat gives her no right to question you.  I would look at her if she asks a personal question and say "what did you just ask me?".  IF she repeats the question I would say " Why would you feel the need to know that? And then turn around and walk away.

Honored Contributor

Ignore any questions you don't care to answer, either carry on the conversation as though you hadn't heard it or excuse yourself and move away.

Trusted Contributor

I had a friend with that exact same personality!  I put up with her for several years just trying not to make an enemy but one day there was a "straw that broke the camels back" and I had to end our friendship!!

For some reason some people cannot control their nosiness!!