Trusted Contributor

Re: Dillema About a Nosy Person

Visitng 'their' old friends.  I think you need to make new friends as a new couple instead of going back to the past.  Tell him you want to take a cruise instead.  

Honored Contributor

Just say:  I'll consider answering that if you answer the same questions you ask first.  That should foil her nosy behavior.  I doubt very much she'll want to answer.  But ...

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

I worked with a " nosebox " who wanted to know everything about everybody. However, if you asked her anything , she would just stare at you and say nothing. I'm a private person, but this drove me crazy, she just couldn't see the hypocrisy.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

What kind of questions are asked? What part of the country are you from. Different parts ahve different ideas about what is "nosy" and what is not. And it is interogation. I have a feeling it has to do w/initimate matter.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

If you ask her "Why do you want to know?", the other person could always come back with, "I'm just curious."

@Plaid Pants2  I would then say, well, you know, curiosity killed the cat.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You don't owe anybody an answer you don't want to give. Simply smile and change the topic and ignore the question. Don't even acknowledge what she asks with a response.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

First off, I know you are uncomfortable with her, but don't take offense, she is probably like this with everyone.  Sounds like she is socially inept.

I say baffle her with b.s. it will surprise and confuse her.  She asks a question, you reply, well gee, I really don't know, don't have an answer for that, haven't thought about it much.  Another tactic is to overwhelm her with a barage of insignificant, minute details, ramble on until she gets bored with your conversation.  She may come away thinking you are a ding bat but it serves the purpose.  

Honored Contributor

Just say "my private life is private".

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

As mentioned previously, I personally would attempt to keep myself busy with others and conversation-

If someone corners me,  no matter what their approach, I keep my responses impersonal and light.  If they ask what I do, I give a polite non-detailed response and then immediately put it back in their court-How about you? If their response is brief and silence occurs, it's usually followed by me smiling and telling them it was nice to meet them and excusing myself-

People by nature are curious, can often be inappropriate in their pursuit of information, but, usually those individuals love to talk about themselves and are easily lead astray--

Enjoy yourself, don't project about the gathering-Try to rise above her behavior with grace-in the end, it wont be a judgement about her questions but, your responses and how you handle them.

Remember, you're the one with the power - have fun!

Trusted Contributor

I am considered a very outgoing person and have no trouble maintaining an intelligent conversation.  I do resent when people get nosy about very personal affairs.  Fred admits that she has always been a housewife ( apparently a bored one), and is the town gossip.

I do thank the ladies here for your suggestions.  I have decided if she starts her interragation again, I will turn it back on her and say, " Well enough about me, tell me about yourself."