Honored Contributor

Re: Dillema About a Nosy Person

I would say, I will forgive you for asking, if you will forgive me for not answering ,a highly personal question

Honored Contributor

@Calcgirl@When someone asks a question that I feel is none of their business I give them an interesting answer.If she asks how much I make...I say to her not enough that's why I'm dating again.Why aren't we married...I refused to sign the prenup.How old are you...lot older than him.I wanted someone young and sassy this time around.

Honored Contributor

Turn the tables on her.   it's not an "interview" it should be conversation.   Pepper her with questions.  She'll either shut up or end up talking about herself the entire time, either way, you win.

Even if she is looking out for her friend, it's rude to interrogate people.

@Calcgirl

Esteemed Contributor

If you ask her "Why do you want to know?", the other person could always come back with, "I'm just curious."

Honored Contributor

As someone who dates men with sisters (and as a sister myself), grilling is part of the relationship and I have no problem with sisters or mothers (or grandmothers) asking personal questions.

But that's where it ends.    No one else has a "need to know."

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

I can understand your being frustrated.  Don't let it overwhelm you or spoil your trip because you're thinking about it a lot. Please don't give her that kind of power.  Some people are just truly nosey!  An idea for a comeback: "Well, Mary, I"m not sure why you're asking, but I don't want to bore you (or bore everyone if she asks in a group setting) by talking about  the very personal  details of my life."  You can say it very casually, and then "let's talk about someting more interesting", then change the subject by asking something pertinent to the evening.

Honored Contributor

@Calcgirl

I would say "only the IRS and my priest/rabbi/pastor know the answers to those questions." Cat Tongue

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

In my opinion, people who ask extremely personal questions like that don't deserve an answer. They are being super nosy. Do not feel you have to answer them. You can ask this woman, "What did you say?" And if she repeats the question, then just say, "I thought that is what you said." Then walk away or start asking her personal questions.  Or just look her straight in the eye and say, "Why do you want to know that?" If she says she is curious, tell her you don't answer personal questions. Do not give her the satisfaction of giving her any answers and food for gossip. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Apple Crisp wrote:

In my opinion, people who ask extremely personal questions like that don't deserve an answer. They are being super nosy. Do not feel you have to answer them. You can ask this woman, "What did you say?" And if she repeats the question, then just say, "I thought that is what you said." Then walk away or start asking her personal questions.  Or just look her straight in the eye and say, "Why do you want to know that?" Do not give her the satisfaction of giving her any answers and food for gossip. 

And the other person could answer back with, "I'm just curious."

Super Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Apple Crisp wrote:

In my opinion, people who ask extremely personal questions like that don't deserve an answer. They are being super nosy. Do not feel you have to answer them. You can ask this woman, "What did you say?" And if she repeats the question, then just say, "I thought that is what you said." Then walk away or start asking her personal questions.  Or just look her straight in the eye and say, "Why do you want to know that?" Do not give her the satisfaction of giving her any answers and food for gossip. 

And the other person could answer back with, "I'm just curious."

I was editing my post as you were replying to me. I agree with you. I know people who like to ask personal questions like that and then talk behind your back. I avoid them like the plague.