Esteemed Contributor

Re: Did you know Facebook keeps a list of all your passwords?

@geegerbee wrote:

I was going through the privacy settings and lo and behold came up a list of about 50 passwords and ids from most of the websites i have visited. I tried turning off this list, but when I exited, it bounced back to the way it was. This is serious misuse of my information.. Facebook shouldn't have passwords for aarp, clothing sites I visited etc. You can never get to talk to a real person, but I need to know how to permanently turn this off.

Umm, no I did not know that. Do they have passwords to our financial places too?

How did they do this? I am not comfortable with this. Not at all, I may have to delete my fb because of this.

When our bank savings account got hacked, the lady at the bank told me we would get all of our money put back in the savings acct (we changed act numbers) pretty quick because it was under 200.00 that had been taken out. She said if it was over 200.00 it could take quite a while because they would have to do a big investigation on it. I've never felt too comfortable with that, b/c what if the hackers cleaned out our checking and our savings??? We do have other accounts not with this bank, but I really don't know how long it would take to get money out of those.

Esteemed Contributor

Are you logging on to those other sites from the facebook site? If so, could that be why they have the info?

Honored Contributor

I just reviewed my FB account thoroughly and I can not even find the setting the OP is talking about. I have my FB very private

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@happycat wrote:

Are you logging on to those other sites from the facebook site? If so, could that be why they have the info?

That's what I was wondering.  When I log into a website using Google or Twitter logins, Google and Twitter have access to that history, so I figured Facebook is the same way.

If I'm given a choice to "log in with Google" (or Twiiter or Facebook) or set up a new account, I these days I set up a new account.  It's more time consuming, but I'd rather not have those companies track my activity.  

Honored Contributor

Are you referring to shopping through your FB account?

Trusted Contributor

Facebook got into the address book on my computer.  Not my FB friends list.  But, my private address book.  

I started to see Friends Suggestions popping up for my endocrinologist, my orthopaedic doctor, people that work in my doctors' offices, etc.  

A friend of mine has an old FB account that she doesn't use.  It's listed with her first name and last name.  That's how she's listed in my address book.  In her live FB account, she uses her first name-maiden name-married name.  She came up as a friend suggestion, listing her name as it is listed in my address book.

Yes, FB does have the ability to get into the information on your computer.  I shut the account down.

If you really want to do FB, you can get a cheap chromebook and just use that for your social networks.  Don't do anything else on it, like pay bills, shop, store passwords, or check your email.  Don't put an address book on it.  Then there's nothing they can get.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Trusted Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

I mind can not wrap itself around someone with 50 passwords.  Really???  How on earth do you keep track?

I've got more than 50 passwords.  You should never use just one password.  It's not secure.  

Many of them I actually have memorized.  But, I keep them filed on a USB stick, with a pass code.  And, I also keep them backed up on an external hard drive.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Esteemed Contributor

@onlyshopsonline wrote:

Facebook got into the address book on my computer.  Not my FB friends list.  But, my private address book.  

I started to see Friends Suggestions popping up for my endocrinologist, my orthopaedic doctor, people that work in my doctors' offices, etc.  

A friend of mine has an old FB account that she doesn't use.  It's listed with her first name and last name.  That's how she's listed in my address book.  In her live FB account, she uses her first name-maiden name-married name.  She came up as a friend suggestion, listing her name as it is listed in my address book.

Yes, FB does have the ability to get into the information on your computer.  I shut the account down.

If you really want to do FB, you can get a cheap chromebook and just use that for your social networks.  Don't do anything else on it, like pay bills, shop, store passwords, or check your email.  Don't put an address book on it.  Then there's nothing they can get.

@onlyshopsonline   Facebook is not a safe site.   I know many that have been hacked on there.  This is the reason I will not sign up for any contests like Q is running at midnight.  You have to go through facebook.   Some people think their settings are set to private BUT  I happen to know a guy that works in criminal law.  It  is very easy to hack accounts of facebook.  

What gets me are the numb nuts that post pictures of themselves, their family members, when they are leaving on vacation, etc.  One night a girl I  knew (not well)  posted her dinner, and it was lobster, I said UGH those things are so ugly there is no way I would eat one.   I was deleted, Bwah ahahahahahah

Seriously folks please be careful, Do not post all your family, o not tell them if you are leaving on vacation, Do not post where you went to school, where you worked or work and stuff like that.  You are setting yourself up to be hacked.   Do not forward anything in messenger either, another dangerous thing.  

Esteemed Contributor

I always felt uncomfortable signing up with Facebook so I never have.   Friends hsve tried to,talk me into being on there and noe I'm glad I never did.  Facebook has been having problems a lot lately I see it in the news.   I felt at some point  they would be able to access my personal info and now I see that is starting to happen.   I don't need that worry have enough in life to worry about.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Which is why the only password of mine FB might have is my FB password.

I never sign in through FB, google, twitter or any other site for another site.    I go to the destination site and sign in there.

Keepin' it real.