Trusted Contributor

Re: Did you ever find money in your house?

Yes, like a few others here, after doing laundry.  Would find extremely clean bills (pun intended but not extremely funny), never a fortune, in the bottom of the washer.

Honored Contributor

@aggravated

Money laundering is a federal crime!

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

This is not exactly finding money, but when friends bought a house a few years ago, they got it at a great price because the young owners were divorcing and wanted to sell quickly.  When my friends replaced the kitchen cabinets, they found a bunch of stamped envelopes, ready to be mailed, with bills & checks inside.  Apparently they had slid down behind the cabinets.  My friend has always wondered if perhaps those wayward bills had contributed to the previous owners' short marriage going south.  :-/

As for finding money, when we cleaned out an elderly relative's condo, we found money everywhere, and I mean everywhere.  Over $200 just in the coins collected from various spots.  And lots & lots of cash in medicine cabinets, rolled up in scarves, stuffed into vases and muffin tins, etc.  Lots of small amounts in various places, that added up to a lot of money.  I told my brothers not to throw out anything without looking carefully, but the job was so overwhelming that I'm sure we did throw some cash away. 

Contributor

just curious: what did you do with the money?

I'd probably keep some (hey, I'm human) and give the rest to charity and needy relatives.

Honored Contributor

yes, many years ago, i would guess some 25 yrs ago when my son moved out of the house into his own place.

we were cleaning out his closet when we found a camera case that my husband had been searching for quite some time. inside was the camera and some money. it belonged to our son. 

Honored Contributor

@house_cat  Only change.  Wish someone would plant a Mil for me to find.  LOL  Cat HappyHeart

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I find lots of coins in DH’s pockets almost every time I do laundry...put them in a big jar...probably a couple of hundred dollars by now....he doesn’t know about the jar...😉
Trusted Contributor

I have never "found" money in my house. I keep money in a certain jar in the house for an emergency cab, maybe ordering a pizza or chinese food, or just a day when I did not get to go to the bank.

But I grew up putting money in my wallet or purse so I never or I shound say not often do I put money in my pocket so I'm not lucky to find money in the house.

I have a pennies/loose change bucket and my house money crystal jar.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Respected Contributor

I often find small amounts, change/small bills, in coat pockets.

When my dad was young his family moved to a different house in NYC. He found a small white gold diamond eternity band in a tool box in the attic. He gave it to his mom who gave it to my mom after she and Dad got married. Mom had the diamonds removed and split them between sis and me. I had mine put into a v shaped necklace.

Respected Contributor

Not cash but in 1994 when we were preparing for a move, I was going through drawers and found paperwork for a brokerage account I had that had $36,000 or so dollars in it.   I had totally forgotten about it.