Esteemed Contributor

Re: Did You Ever "Pay It Forward"???

@makena I, for one, think that was really, really nice of you. The fact that it was $28 makes it particularly nice! I'm sure you made his day!!! You sound like a really nice person---and I hope you've recovered from your bad day at work. You should never regret being generous -if it's coming from the heart. Cheers to you!

Valued Contributor

For some reason, I like to pay tolls for cabbies.  They work hard for their money and get very little.  It's not the toll money (usually $1.50) it's the surprise and to know someone appreciates them.  I never take cabs by the way, but have done this a few times.  If they pass me on the road they usually toot their horn and smile.  Just a little appreciation and it costs so little.

Honored Contributor

I've helped  people in a check out line with a dollar or change if they need it but nothing like you did.   My life is so blessed, I try to share when I can in other ways

It will come back to you when & how you least expect it and guess what?   You have to humbly accept.    Even though is it more blessed to give than receive, there is a lesson in both.

@makena

Honored Contributor

I think paying it forward can be anything that makes a bright spot in someone's day.I had a man pay for my loaf of bread at the bakery.This was a first for me and just brought a smile to my heart.I didn't need the money but I really enjoyed being treated.

Respected Contributor

@jackthebear the posters are not bragging, they are sharing. I think this thread is wonderful and I hope people like you stay away and don't try to turn it negative.

Woman HappyHeart

Don't worry, be Happy!
Respected Contributor

My DH and I always try to pay for Police Officers and Firefighters meals when we are out and see them. Our way of saying Thank you for all they do.Woman HappyHeart

Don't worry, be Happy!
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Now that I heard about your $28 tab, I'll never do that type of thing.  No, I've done it and no one has ever done it for me.  I'm all for doing something nice for someone but I'd rather give it to someone who actually needs it.   

You can always choose to pay a certain amount rather than the whole tab.  And who knows, this might be the one treat he can give his family this year.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Now that I heard about your $28 tab, I'll never do that type of thing.  No, I've done it and no one has ever done it for me.  I'm all for doing something nice for someone but I'd rather give it to someone who actually needs it.   

How do you know "He" did not need it. This man may have been taking meals back to people he worked with, maybe just maybe he was not eating because he did not have the money. We never know what a person's circumstances are and we should never judge others. 

I am all for paying it forward and yes even for those that do not "need" it.Woman HappyHeart

Don't worry, be Happy!
Honored Contributor

We do it, and we have been the recipient of it.  The police have bought us a meal. They are good people, and do so appreciate ,the good will that is shown to them

Honored Contributor

I'll post this just to give you an idea of what you might do.

Our church (women and men)  sometimes bakes cookies for the Police and Fire Departments and EMTs/Ambulance crew.  It's a good feeling to share with those who give so much to their community.  Smiley Happy

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~