Honored Contributor

Did You Ever Lose a Very Expensive Piece of Jewelry

Or thought you did?  For the last five days I could not locate my anniversary 5-diamond wedding band I received over 15 years ago.  I have literally been sick and unable to eat.  I have gone through every place I could find.  I haven't even worn it and usually don't but last week I had to bring my good watch to have the battery replaced and my husband said "grab your rings and have them do a good cleaning.  Well I found by engagement/wedding set but could not find the eternity band.  I checked again this morning every jewelry box and ring box with no luck.  I had given up.  Just ready to go out and found a Carver Dan box in the corner and low and behold, there it was.  What a sign of relief but what a horrific feeling it is.  Now I have to try and settle myself down.  Feel like I've been thru H-E-L-L and back this past several days.

Honored Contributor

Re: Did You Ever Lose a Very Expensive Piece of Jewelry

[ Edited ]

I lost or had stolen or the cat ate a beautiful 1ct. yellow diamond ring. 

Super Contributor

Yes. Many years ago, I was given a gold and diamond bracelet by my SO. I wore it often and one day at work I looked at my wrist and it was gone. I was working in a hospital setting, and routinely walked all over the buildings. After retracing my steps as best I could, I went to lost and found and reported it missing. Shortly afterwards, I was notified it had been turned in. I immediately retrieved it, and tried to give the honest employee a reward, but they refused. Like you, the sense of relief was amazing. I still have that bracelet, and my SO. 

Respected Contributor

Yes I thought I lost my diamond ring.   We used to live in a house with a wood burner in the basement as a heat supplement in the winter.  When I occasionally put wood in the wood burner I would put on a pair of oversized leather gloves.  Unbeknownst to me my ring came off inside the glove when I took them off.  When I noticed my ring was gone from my finger a few hours later, I didn’t think about the gloves but looked all over the house and gave up on ever finding it.  About a month later, my husband put the gloves on to put wood in the burner and found it. 

Honored Contributor

No.  I've never owned an expensive piece of jewelry.   I'm not a jewelry "person."

Super Contributor

Diamond stud earring, only one, time after time after time. For some reason (husband) the remaining studs never matched each other enough to wear as a set. Lost a Tahitian pearl stud once also but found it a year later stuck into the upholstery of the truck. Diamond cocktail ring, and on and on the list goes.  No luck with jewelry so 99.9% of it is in the safe deposit box and I don't wear it at all.

Esteemed Contributor

I had a beautiful coral and yellow gold bracelet!!  It wasn't super expensive, but it meant alot to me. The coral cabochons pieces were bezel set in gold!  Loved that bracelet; had earrings and rings to go with.  Wore it to work one day, looked down at my hand and it was gone!!  Never returned by anyone; am sure that some lucky person loved it!

Valued Contributor

Stolen, not lost. I had a 14K Irish Claddagh ring bought here many many years ago when gold was affordable. I had taken it off at my desk at work to put on lotion on my hands. In Chicago at the time, winter was brutal with dry skin. I foolishly didn't put the ring back on and stepped away from my desk for a short time and poof! it was gone. I could replace it but a good replacement now is several hundred $$$.

Honored Contributor

I lost the diamond stud earrings hubby gave me for our 15th wedding anniversary.   They were special occasion earrings and I don't actually know when they went missing.  I went to look for the box and I couldn't find them.  It hurt because hubby worked extra shifts for a year to buy them.  

Honored Contributor

@Xivambala wrote:

Stolen, not lost. I had a 14K Irish Claddagh ring bought here many many years ago when gold was affordable. I had taken it off at my desk at work to put on lotion on my hands. In Chicago at the time, winter was brutal with dry skin. I foolishly didn't put the ring back on and stepped away from my desk for a short time and poof! it was gone. I could replace it but a good replacement now is several hundred $$$.

@Xivambala  Heartbreaking☹️  Since it was stolen off your work desk....did you suspect another employee that you knew? That would make it doubly awful