New Contributor

Re: Did You Ever Eat At Woolworths?

Thanks for the great memories. Every time we went I had to get my grandma that tangerine lipstick. Those where truly the good old days!
Esteemed Contributor

@eadu4 - weren't those root beer floats in the frosted mugs? To this day I love root beer floats and always made them as a summer treat for my kids. Now, when my granddaughters spend the summer with me I treat them to a root beer float!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I ate plenty of lunches at Woolworths.

Trusted Contributor

I remember eating at Kresge's and Woolworths with my friends. My greatest memories are sitting at the counter at Katz in KCMO with my dad and getting coke in a pointed paper cup. 

Trusted Contributor

I remember the signs and the restrictions. Anyone who says it's not better now is wrong.

I worked at one of the big Super Woolworth's. My friend and I would meet in the "dining area" to split a piece of cherry pie and each get a cup of coffee. Best cherry pie ever. I think the total order was about $1.25. The memories of that break and my late friend are priceless.

Respected Contributor

@candyagain wrote:

I remember the signs and the restrictions. Anyone who says it's not better now is wrong.

I worked at one of the big Super Woolworth's. My friend and I would meet in the "dining area" to split a piece of cherry pie and each get a cup of coffee. Best cherry pie ever. I think the total order was about $1.25. The memories of that break and my late friend are priceless.

@candyagain 

Woolco ?

♫  We want to be Your Favorite Store!  We want to be Your Favorite Store!  ♫

Trusted Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

@candyagain wrote:

@candyagain 

Woolco ?

♫  We want to be Your Favorite Store!  We want to be Your Favorite Store!  ♫

I was at Customer Service and did the announcements...."Attention Woolworth Shoppers...." My co-workers called me "The Voice of Woolworth's" to kid me. Luckily, no one asked me to sing! Woman Very Happy

I think Woolco came after I went back to college. The store was great but it closed about 10 years later.

Respected Contributor

growing up we had a Woolworth's on Main Street in the nearby town where all the shopping was. i remember there were short glass panels were used as separators in the bins for things like undies and socks. Tall ceilings with big fans.

No lunch counter.  The Woolworth building stood empty for many years and now there are new "workforce" apartments and  a first floor fitness center.

Later Woolworths became Woolco - came to town along with Grant's which had a dining area.  Billy Blake, and then Ames moved into Woolco's  space and Great Eastern took over Billy Blake. Grant's space was taken over by a few grocery stores...

and now it's just Walmart and Target.

Respected Contributor

I grew up in NYC.

We had many Woolworth's, called the 5 and dime store. Ate there many, many times, and when I was pregnant, I ate 5 franks at the counter. My mother always swore that is why I only had boys!!!

Downtown Brooklyn had McCory's. My very favorite thing to eat was a half cantaloupe with a scoop of ice-cream in the middle, and also their BLT.

Miss all the shopping stores that were available.

Super Contributor

@MaverDaver wrote:

Sure did. Would go shopping with my mom and always have lunch at the Woolworth counter. Brings back pleasant memories.

OMGoodness, yes!   Did the same with my mom.  My mom would always order a chocolate phosphate.  I usually had a BLT or tuna on toast.  Those are some of the best memories for me!   We also bought our parakeets at Woolworths.  I remember they would put the parakeet in a box with holes and we would bring it home with us on the bus.  Memories!!!