Respected Contributor

Re: Department Stores In Your Area?

@Kachina624   Thank you, that is a pretty coat. When I was a size 6, with a tiny waist, I wore coats like that with princess seams. That is not my shape any longer. I need something not fitted. A swing style or A line  or even something  straight is a better fit for me now.

I'm also two inches shorter, so a 3/4 length or just to knee length is best. I'm only 4'11" now.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG 

While many of the malls around here have fallen on hard times, I'm lucky to have a regional mall about 15 minutes away that's still going strong.  The anchor stores are Dillard's, Macy's and JCPenney, all fully stocked.  (Well maybe not Penney's ha ha.)  Then the smaller stores include J.Jill, Ann Taylor, Ann Taylor Loft, Kendra Scott, Chico's, Madewell, Lululemon, Soft Surroundings, White House Black Market, Potterybarn and a lot more.  This is actually the oldest mall in the area, but the owners have constantly updated and it has paid off. 

So guess where I usually end up shopping? TJ Maxx is 5-10 min. away in one direction and Marshall's is 5 min. in the opposite direction.  I can't resist a bargain, so that's where I head first.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

I just went to the King of Prussia  (outside Philadelphia) mall today and strolled around for a few hours.  It was somewhat busy with lots of shoppers.  All the holiday decorations are starting to appear.

The department stores now are Macy's, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdale's. There are hundreds of other smaller stores.

There is another mall nearby with a Boscovs, and another with a JC Penney.  Standing by itself we have Saks Fifth Avenue.  We also have all the outlet stores in several outlet malls. We have multiple stores like Kohls, Target, etc. around the area. 

Esteemed Contributor

Kohls and that is about it.  Rest are gone. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624   That is too bad about the blankets. We just never know what we would come to appreciate in the future. We never would have thought that wool or cotton could be scarce or so expensive in the future. Cheap synthetics are what people have accepted, so that is what we find out there.

When my oldest daughter was four years old, my grandmother

gave me a woman's size 12 cashmere coat, light cocoa brown. It

had been given to her by a friend, so she could pass it along to

someone who could use it. Well, back then, not my grandmother or anyone in our family would have worn that size. We were all size 6-8.

My grandmother accepted the coat and since she knew that I

made most of the clothes for my three girls, she knew I could do something with it. I got a coat pattern and some sherpa type

fabric for a warm pile lining and some buttons.

I took apart that size 12 and made a warm cashmere winter coat for my daughter. Her two sisters got to wear it when she outgrew it.

Honored Contributor

@Enufstuff    Those sewing skills DO come in handy.  I could have made a nice coat out of one of those wool blankets.  We don't really need wool in my climate.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have been to our local malls maybe 3 times since the pandemic hit--and did notice how many empty store fronts there are--don't have a clue what it still open or gone--I stay away from the crowds still--and do most my shopping online---I do go to the few stores in my area where I live tho---

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG - when I lived in NJ I had 3 huge malls within a half hr drive from my house - every store you could imagine -

Nordstrom, L&T, Bloomies, Saks, Neiman Marcus, Macys along with many high-end shops.

And if you really wanted, NYC was not far either - depending on traffic.

Now, I'm a few hours south of you and I'm still in shopping shock. We have one mall about 10 miles north which has a Penney's, Belk and Dillards. Not much else I would shop in. I do think Penney's is on its last legs. Sears left about 3 years ago.

Oh, and Kohls is still around.

Honored Contributor

@riley1 

It Sears went bankrupt and signed out of Chapter 11 according to Fox news.  There are less than a dozen stores to handle liquidation.

Esteemed Contributor

We have Kohls, Boscovs and TJ Maxx just came to our area. I prefer

Kohls out of all of them. Always good offers, can't beat Kohls!