Valued Contributor

Re: Department Stores In Your Area?

I love Von Maur and Boscovs..........VM has free gift wrap, free postage both ways ,

free return anytime and free no interest for credit cards...

Boscovs is good for anything you don't want to spend a lot on.....1 have never been 

to either one but do a great deal of shopping at both.

Respected Contributor

The small southern town I live in now has a population of close to 35,000.  The only indoor mall  still has a Belks, lost JC Penney, Sears, and one other small dept store. The discount stores have moved in .....Rose's, Carnival Shoes, some other names I'm not familiar with.  They did open a JoAnn's fabrics there, but you can't enter it from inside the mall.  There is a large strip mall that opened several years ago. Many stores left but the ones that remain are Ross Dress for Less, TJ Maxx, Target, Party City, Shoe Rack, a western boot place, Big Lots and Burlington Coats just moved in. 

Shopping is ok, but I just don't go out much since the pandemic and purchase from a few vendors online. 

Respected Contributor

@Neetgal2 

Add Snellenberg's to your list....My grandmother and mother used to get us winter coats there.  Then to Horn & Hardart's for lunch !!!     Ahhh, memories of hamburger steak, mashed potatoes and lemon meringue pie from the little window " Automat " !!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

"My" mall  (Macy's/Dillards)  was bulldozed almost a year ago in favor of luxury apartment buildings.

I am left with Target and Walmart (both old and small) stores.   I CAN get to "better" stores...but it's a long drive...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

The closest mall has a Macy's, JCP, Target and a Nordstrom Rack. i rarely go to the mall. like maybe 4 yrs now.  when i did i parked and cut through the Rack. it's been there at least 12 yrs and nothing there appealed to me.

Honored Contributor

Yesterday I wanted to go to Bath & Body Works sale.  I wanted to use my rewards & it's been years since I've actually shopped in store.  I wanted to "smell" the candles and soaps I chose.

We have a run down mall here but B&BW is still there.  I parked in front of mall -- all the doors were locked🤷‍♀️.  Well, it doesn't open til 11 and when I went inside most stores were closed including food court area (out of business).  

All the anchor stores JCP, Sears, Dillards, Macys left many years ago.

It was pretty dismal considering closest real mall to here is 1.5 hours away.

Our Kohls is "surviving" but not much to chose from.  Thank goodness I'm past the stage of needing to shop for things, the store selections are slim pickings.

I shop online and have had good success.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's sad what has happened to department stores all over the country!

We used to have a Strawbridges, Wanamakers, Lit Bros., Bambergers (which became Macys), Lord & Taylor, Gimbels....these are the ones that come to mind.

Now we still have a Macys and a Nordstrom.  I rarely go into department stores anymore.  I'm probably part of the problem.

ETA:  We still have a Kohls & Boscovs.

Respected Contributor

I live in Northern Delaware and I 95 runs right through it.  Delaware has no sales tax so one of the malls in my area is a desination for people in surrounding states.  It has 4 major department stores. The other mall in my area has two department stores but the rest of the mall is dead.  There are plenty of department stores in my area.  Multiples of the same department store like Kohl's, Target, Macy's and JC Penney's.

Honored Contributor

@Enufstuff    I'll keep an eye out for you but I'm not optimistic.  I think all sheep must have organized and gone union or something.

Before she died, my mom asked me if I wanted 2 or 3 100% wool blankets, the wool having come from dad's family's ranch in Colorado.  I declined because I didn't want to bother having to store them in the summer.  I could kick myself now.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Enufstuff   Before I went off to college, mom had me try Harris Tweed brand coats, all wool, hand woven in GB.  They were wonderful quality.  They are not all tweed, that's just the brand.  This is on Etsy, under $500.  Perhaps the vendor makes them using the Harris Tweed fabric.  Worth checking out.

Screenshot_20221120-181218.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment