Honored Contributor
  • I found out today that people without a regular dentist can go to dental  emergency clinics for treatment.The people who show up are usually in a lot if pain for things like an abscess tooth.The clinic will offer two treatments..root canal or pulling the tooth.Some people can't afford either as you must pay up front.They get antibiotics for infection but that's it.I can't believe with so much funding that there isn't an agency for help with dental work.I am hoping that this isn't true as dental pain is a b@@ch.
Honored Contributor

Re: Dental pain

[ Edited ]

Honestly, I did not know there were emergency dental clinics.

I've seen people come into a hospital emergency room with dental pain.

Honored Contributor

If you happen to live in a city with a university with a school. of dentistry, you can often get treatment at a greatly reduced rate.  I went to the University of Texas Dental School for several years and had thousands of $$$ of work done. 

I don't know how families afford dental services.  The costs have become outrageous and insurance just pays a drop in the bucket. 

@dex  I'd find myself a regular dentist before I'd go to a place like you describe.  It's one of those things you need to get before you need it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Dental pain

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:
  • I found out today that people without a regular dentist can go to dental  emergency clinics for treatment.The people who show up are usually in a lot if pain for things like an abscess tooth.The clinic will offer two treatments..root canal or pulling the tooth.Some people can't afford either as you must pay up front.They get antibiotics for infection but that's it.I can't believe with so much funding that there isn't an agency for help with dental work.I am hoping that this isn't true as dental pain is a b@@ch.

@dex

Another resource are universities that teach dentistry.  UCSF does that here.  Students work on people for free, for their learning experience.  

Also we have many dentists who give their time for a free day for anyone who shows up needing help.  That just happened here a couple of days ago.

Honored Contributor

I have never understood why dental health is not addressed more. What is it not apart of health coverage? OBC never addressed it. 

Honored Contributor

My area of southern WV does not have emergency dental clinics.   Med Express and our hospital ER's treat patients for their infections and abscesses, then refer them to local dentists for whatever is needed to fix the root of the problem.   Patients who receive their medical care thru our local health department, also receive dental care thru this service.   

Honored Contributor

I never heard of a dental emergency clinic, we don't have them here.  The larger hospitals in this area have dental surgeons or they have on call dental surgeons.  When a person comes into the emergency room with dental pain, they are seen and their pain.  They get pain medication and xrays if neded and the dentist examines them and give them their precriptions and they are referred to either to the dental clinic at the hospital or to an outside dentist.  The emergent care is covered by medical insurance because no dental work was done, the diagnosis is dental pain and the patient ws treated for pain.  If a patient cannot afford the dental care, they can try to negotiate a payment plan with the dentist.  If paitents are honest with the dentist about their financial situation, something can always be worked out but they do have put down a deposit.  What "funding" are you referring to?  I don't believe the ACA covers dental care and Medicaid in my state does not cover dental care. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I never heard of a dental emergency clinic, we don't have them here.  The larger hospitals in this area have dental surgeons or they have on call dental surgeons.  When a person comes into the emergency room with dental pain, they are seen and their pain.  They get pain medication and xrays if neded and the dentist examines them and give them their precriptions and they are referred to either to the dental clinic at the hospital or to an outside dentist.  The emergent care is covered by medical insurance because no dental work was done, the diagnosis is dental pain and the patient ws treated for pain.  If a patient cannot afford the dental care, they can try to negotiate a payment plan with the dentist.  If paitents are honest with the dentist about their financial situation, something can always be worked out but they do have put down a deposit.  What "funding" are you referring to?  I don't believe the ACA covers dental care and Medicaid in my state does not cover dental care. 

@chrystaltree  We don't have dental emergency clinics either.  In fact many counties in this state don't even have a dentist.  The university has a medical school but not a dental school. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Surprises me to learn a whole county might not have one dentist in some states.  I can name at least a dozen dentists in a town of 22,000 people close to where I live.  No doubt there is another dozen I don't even know about.  My dentist donates one half day every other week to see patients at a free dental clinic.  

Honored Contributor

We don't have them here. I get them pulled out. cheaper.