Honored Contributor

Re: Delimma: Texting, WHERE Did Ya Go???

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I consider this its rude.  Of course I think texting for the most part is rude.  I am insulted when I am talking to someone face to face and they answer or begin texting.  Maybe Im just boring.

So my solution is I dont text unless I have to.

@Imaoldhippie OH! NO!!!  Anyone turning away from a face to face conversation to answer a text HAS to be more rude than rude!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I have friends who do this a lot and I have a friend and a cousin who only call me when they are on the road somewhere. 

If if I get a text and am busy, I actually text, busy right now, text you in a bit and I do. 

Respected Contributor

This happens to me sometimes and I do this at times too.

Sometimes I get tired of texting so I just the conversation without a catch ya later, etc but it depends who I am texting with.

Since I do this, it doesnt bother me when others do it too.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, a slight dilemma or an annoyance at the least. I find this most often happens with the guys in my life - a few flighty ladies - but my teenage son, dad and husband were the worst. I've finally had them agree to “o/o” (over and out) at the end, if they must dash away. 

Most women I txt with, including my sisters, will use; ❤️ BFN. (Bye for now) or give a: 👋 If the txt turns into an important conversation, one of us will say: “Calling you at such and such time, okay?” The other will reply if that time is okay: 👌

It's just the typing - usually with thumbs - gets tedious. 

I would try creating your own closing, @ECBG - use it to end the text session first next time, explaining why... so not to leave your friend concerned. Maybe she will take a hint. 🤞

Honored Contributor

@Q-Anu Great idea!!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just say I have to do. What´s so hard in doing that? 

If you are talking to someone on the phone, would you just hang up without saying goodbye?

Honored Contributor

It is annoying to expect a response and get nothing, but that seems to be the protocol now
Honored Contributor

It is annoying, though, when the only responses you get are emojis or so many one word answers it seems pointless. Texts and conversation are very different. I prefer conversations....but they are hard to come by when texting is so much faster.
Respected Contributor

dont ya love when you type a long text and they say   k   or a few words lol. OR they dont address anything that you said. The joys of texting hehe.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I consider this its rude.  Of course I think texting for the most part is rude.  I am insulted when I am talking to someone face to face and they answer or begin texting.  Maybe Im just boring.

So my solution is I dont text unless I have to.

@Imaoldhippie OH! NO!!!  Anyone turning away from a face to face conversation to answer a text HAS to be more rude than rude!!!

I agree.  But it's the person that's rude.  Texting doesn't get the blame for that.  It's the person doing the texting.  I know plenty of people who text, but they're not rude about it.

So I disagree that "texting is rude".  Anything can be rude in the hands of a rude person.