Esteemed Contributor

We had this deer in our back yard yesterday. Then later my parents went to leave and the baby was at the end of our driveway. We think this deer might of gave birth in our front yard. Its gone today so mama must of come back to get it.

9B3CF8AC-1DC5-46CD-B81B-0199A8A01899.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Re: Deer in our yard

[ Edited ]
Esteemed Contributor

I've read..........Mama Deer leaves the fawn alone after birth - she disappears so not to draw attention to the young - usually leaves fawn in tall grass - - and later does come back to move the young after it gets a little strength to walk.

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday.  She will come back. They do leave them while they go to feed. I had the smallest one curl up in the pacysandra in my front yard for hours. Mama finally came back.

Esteemed Contributor

The baby was gone this morning. Yesterday it had moved from our yard to one of the lots not sold yet.  

Honored Contributor

If you have deer in your yard, you will have a problem with ticks.   

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

If you have deer in your yard, you will have a problem with ticks.   

Yep. My dad found one on him a couple weeks ago. We havent found any on the dog but she is on nexguard.

Esteemed Contributor

The fawn probably just got tired and laid down.  Yesterday I saw a picture and explanation in a Northern NY newspaper.  A lady was driving on a country road and saw a fawn in the middle of the road with the Mama Deer standing off to the side of the road.  The lady driver got out of her car - and CARRIED the fawn over to the Mama; but not before working to get hands on the fawn cuz it kept running back to the other side of the road.  The lady said - to those who will say her human smells are now on the fawn -  the Mama will now reject it.  She said - she would never have touched the fawn if that was true - so rest assured - the Mama will reclaim it.  Fawns need several days to get steady legs - so who knows how far that fawn had walked before becoming 'tuckered out" in your driveway. 

Honored Contributor

Does teach their babies to stay put wherever she leaves them.   The fawns will not leave that spot, which is how so many of them die when farmers cut their hayfields.   Unless the farmer checks the field ahead of time, the fawns are usually not seen in time to move them out of the path of the mowing machine.   

Esteemed Contributor

Our neighbor just told my parents the baby is in his yard now. He sais he can see the mama in the distance waiting until its safe. She is moving it all over protecting it from predators. Yes if says that you think a fawn is abandoned  but the mama slways comes bsck and dont mess with them. Its so cute.