Honored Contributor

Re: December 2021 Bird's Nest

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama wrote:

It was bitter around here yesterday and I was grateful that the wind wasn't as bad as on Monday.  My eldest niece and her husband have been vaxxed and boosted and her small kids (6 and 10) have been fully vaccinated.  She texted me and my sister with an invitation for Christmas Eve (my choice of time).  We haven't really seen the family since Zoe's birthday in March 2020 so I said, sure how about 1'ish on Christmas Eve. 

Her mother, my sister will be in heaven 5 years this week and her sister, my other niece lost her freakin mind and now has turned anit-vax.  I figure we (my sister and I) can go over there since everyone is vaxxed.  I ain't gonna lie, I will probably be a little twitchy about taking my mask off once I get there.  It's not that I don't have faith in the vaccine; my fear is being a carrier and killing my birds.  I'm seeing more reports of different kinds of animals being vaccinated against Covid-19.  I don't know if my birds could catch it.

@Bird mama wrote:

It was bitter around here yesterday and I was grateful that the wind wasn't as bad as on Monday.  My eldest niece and her husband have been vaxxed and boosted and her small kids (6 and 10) have been fully vaccinated.  She texted me and my sister with an invitation for Christmas Eve (my choice of time).  We haven't really seen the family since Zoe's birthday in March 2020 so I said, sure how about 1'ish on Christmas Eve. 

Her mother, my sister will be in heaven 5 years this week and her sister, my other niece lost her freakin mind and now has turned anit-vax.  I figure we (my sister and I) can go over there since everyone is vaxxed.  I ain't gonna lie, I will probably be a little twitchy about taking my mask off once I get there.  It's not that I don't have faith in the vaccine; my fear is being a carrier and killing my birds.  I'm seeing more reports of different kinds of animals being vaccinated against Covid-19.  I don't know if my birds could catch it.

@Bird mama   I had no idea birds, etc. could be vaccinated against covid.  If DD and boyfriend had come home this Christmas, I was going to wear my mask, at least for a while because they are out and about every day, both vaccinated after I told her I just had been, back in August, but as we know, it is not 100% effective, and now the variants are popping up, those scare me and are what drove me to finally get vaccinated.  DH will be boostered in a few weeks.

I hope all goes well on your visit and all stay healthy. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

May be an image of text

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl  I'm not a vet so I'm probably gonna classify some of these animals incorrectly.  I tend to group animals into mammals, reptiles, fish and birds.  I know they are vaccinating monkeys/apes/primates whatever you call them, big cats and I swear I saw otters at a zoo getting vaccinated recently in the news.  There were reports dogs could catch it early on.

I don't know yet if a bird could get it.  I don't know what traditional domesticated birds get as far as preventive care.  To be honest @possummink  could probably speak to that based on her grand-bird fruitloop.  I don't live with birds that are considered domesticated and frankly the one time in my life I submitted a bird to veterinary care didn't end well and I have the small urn and his ashes to show for it.

I know birds have sensitive respiratory systems.  They have lungs and multiple air sacs within their bodies so anything that can spread via air is a threat to them and a threat to my happiness if one of them gets sick.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

hello all

birdmama i have been reading your posts about anti vaxers. my DD is one, she said that is where my son in law got his covid this shot,he had to get it for work, she was against the shots when she was getting all the updates from the whackos on these sites,little martians men being injected, all girls will become sterile, boys will become sterile she believes all this garbage.so she is totally against the shot for anyone.

we have to watch our grandson for next 4 days. she has to stuff to do and he can't go to where she is going. told her we will be wearing masks in the house,she said that was so stupid, her son (my grandson) had covid,he has antibodies to never get it again (he got covid 4 weeks ago), not crazy about this at all , it will be a masked weekend for dh and me.

not much else. did normal chores,did walk, dried in dryer today. it was very frosty cold today. cars werecovered in frost. could not hang out, below freezing this morn 27.

ok guys later.

Honored Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

hello all

birdmama i have been reading your posts about anti vaxers. my DD is one, she said that is where my son in law got his covid this shot,he had to get it for work, she was against the shots when she was getting all the updates from the whackos on these sites,little martians men being injected, all girls will become sterile, boys will become sterile she believes all this garbage.so she is totally against the shot for anyone.

we have to watch our grandson for next 4 days. she has to stuff to do and he can't go to where she is going. told her we will be wearing masks in the house,she said that was so stupid, her son (my grandson) had covid,he has antibodies to never get it again (he got covid 4 weeks ago), not crazy about this at all , it will be a masked weekend for dh and me.

not much else. did normal chores,did walk, dried in dryer today. it was very frosty cold today. cars werecovered in frost. could not hang out, below freezing this morn 27.

ok guys later.

@viva923   I am with you, wear a mask.  If DD had come this Christmas, I would have worn a mask, at least in the beginning, because she works and is around a lot of people, and we know the vaccines don't make one 100% safe.

Honored Contributor

@viva923  Yea I kinda had a feeling your daughter was anti-vax which adds to the tragedy of your son-in-law.  The man made it through a transplant and it's covid who is taking him down.  I got all my shots as a kid and boosters like tetanus whenever I hurt myself like stepping on a nail.  I will admit I am not vaccine crazy - never got the shingles, pneumonia shots.  I was never one for getting the flu shot.  When they found my husband's cancer in the fall of 2006, one of the first things I did was get the flu shot.  The visiting nurse association used to come to work when we had corporate flu shot drives.  

I was unloading my work tote bag on the kitchen table that day when I got home from work and my husband picked up the pink copy of the paper the VNA gave me.  He said, you took the flu shot?  I said yea.  He said, man you really do love me Woman Very Happy

I got the flu shot every year until after my Ma died.  I never wanted to bring flu home to hubby, dad (who died a few months after my hubby) or my ma who died a couple of years later.  It's called loving your family.

The kid is shedding virus Viva.  That family just had covid in November and if she don't like it, then figure out where to put her kid.  You are a good grandmother.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@viva923 

Your story regarding your DD and SIL would make me more crazy then I already am. I can't believe all the nonsense that spreads through social medias. Plus I can't believe how many people believe all that junk. My DD is a RN at the big Clinic in MN. and she tells me how many people complain about all this stuff, but they come running to the clinic when they feel sick. 

I too, have a grandson, he is 8 and I think I'd die if something ever happened to him. He's had his first vaccine- without any complications and will get his next one next Friday. Do you think I'd let him take something that would harm him? I do know though what could happen if he gets the covid or the Delta. Your DD is very lucky to have you there for your GS. Good Luck and stick to your guns and wear the mask and if you have to go someplace I'd have the GS wear one too.That's just my feelings. Good Luck

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama 

I like you, never got the flu shot for years. Then one wonderful year I got influenza, then a couple years later I got it again. It was horrible I wound up in the hospital both times. Then the following year I got the flu-shot and 10 days later I got influenza again. I thought the shot did it, no, it didn't I already had the virus in me and the shot didn't help by then. Since then I've gotten the shot every year and have nixed the flu for all these years. I was anti flu shots for so many years and I paid dearly for that stupidity. I also got all my immunizations as a kid, plus the shingles and the pnemonia shots and tetnus. that's a hummer. 

I now have good ol asthma and other under lying heath issues so you bet your bottom dollar I got the vaccines and the booster last August. I do not want to get sick and wind up in the hospital for nothing or worse.. If I have to wear the darn mask the rest of my life so be it. My GS doesn't complain about the mask and he wears his in school everyday. I for the life of me can't figure out why people are so scared of the vaccine. The virus is what they should be so against, not the one thing that can help, plus the mask is a big game changer and it costs little or nothing. It is very frustrating. 

Honored Contributor

hey all

sun finally came out of the heavy cloud cover this morn. could not hang out, humidity is up. cool=damp today

anyway,did chores,did walk,folded clothes (dryer)all put away

ok guys later.