Esteemed Contributor

Daughter at Airport - follow up

A special thank you to the kind and good people on this forum who allowed me to get tender and 'worry' online when I dropped youngest daughter off at airport, knowing she would complete training and move to a 'hub' city. She's just one of those people you miss when she's not around and you helped me through the first 24 hours -- many thanks. Reading your responses helped me to briefly experience my emotions then snap out of it, making this change about daughter's happiness and her career.

I'm happy to report DD's in her seventh and final week of United Airlines Flight Attendant training. She's on a training flight somewhere in the Southeast region as I type. She's guessing they'll be many kids on the plane. Her hint to me.

This is something she's wanted to do since college but suffered an ugly, viscious assault at that time (early 20s) and her bright light dimmed for a while. After PTSD therapy and a lot of healing, she was ready to pick up where she left off, half a decade later, and apply at airlines. She saved money to temporarily be without an income and went through the intense training program, passing each test with 80% or above, then finished with 90s grades for her finals. A big deal for an ADHD person. Her ability to focus, retain and recall was amazing. She wanted this.

So proud of her. She's off to San Francisco for 6 months at the end of the month. After that? The friendly skies are the limit. 

Again - I'm touched by how kind and caring y'all were. I thank you. I'll be going out of town soon and won't be visiting forum for a short while, but didn't want to miss an opportunity to follow up and thank you, while it's on my mind. Heart   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

Re: Daughter at Airport - follow up

Thank you @jeanlake , for reminding me, at a very difficult time personally, that there is good news and postive outccomes out there.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@jeanlake Great news for your daughter and it sounds like you have given her wings (so to speak) to do what she wants to do...it's hard to let go, I am sure.

I wanted to be a flight attendant...back in the early 70's when I graduated...I still remember the letter they sent to me, your height and weight are not within our range!!...code for to heavy.  I don't think I was to heavy but according to them I was...I hope she enjoys her new career.  It sounds like she had an up hill battle to get what she wanted, good for her for going after her dream.

Honored Contributor

Kudos to your daughter for her courage, determination, and strength of spirit, @jeanlake , which she obviously gets from you, her great supporter!

My good thoughts and well wishes for her continued success.  Those thoughts will have an easier time reaching her once she's in SF as I'm just somewhat east of there.

Heart

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Congratulations to your daughter and to you for raising a very strong determined young lady.

The most difficult thing we do as mothers is to let our children grow up and leave.  We plan for this day for years, but when it finally happens we aren't ready and it is always too soon.

You and your daughter have so much to be proud of.  Best wishes to you both.

Esteemed Contributor

How amazing your daughter is. You are to be commended on how you raised her. Good job Mom. Congratulations to your daughter, oh the places she will go. 

Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlake  Your daughter sounds like a strong young woman and I know that you are very proud of her.  I hope that her career will be everything that she wants and I hope that she gets to travel the world.  She has a wonderful future ahead of her.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Frequent Contributor

Good news for all. However I can't imagine wanting to be a flight attendant. Just saying..................

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake @Things always seem to have a way of working out when there is some time and determination.I am so happy for you and your wonderful daughter.I think she will be ble to get you some discounted flights when you decide to visit her.

Esteemed Contributor

Back home now and read your kind comments. Thank you. I'm sorry for anyone going through a tough time. Agree with posters that 'this too shall pass' and 'time heals.' Something I would tell my daughter -- the best revenge is a good life. We talked a lot about the law of attraction (all energy) over several years. I was sad to learn she was so discouraged she stopped dreaming and setting goals at one point. I like what MLK says -- without dreams, we perish. Keep dreaming, hoping and being kind, good people!      

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau