Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam  First, happy birthday. Next, I would consider it NOT a date but a dinner with a friend. I would be prepared to go Dutch and split the bill. If he offers to pay the whole thing that's fine, but you want to be spared the embarrassment if *he* assumes you two are splitting the bill.

I'm sure if you are prepared you won't be too nervous and will have an enjoyable time.

Please do give us an update!

Respected Contributor

It sounds like a date however I would just go with an open mind and enjoy the evening. If at the end of the evening he ask you to do something else then you will know this was a date.

Trusted Contributor

I would ask him what he means by " going out". Where does he want to go? Is he taking you somewhere? If so, it's a date! 

Respected Contributor

@RedTopwrote

personally would just consider it a birthday celebration with a male friend.  

I totally agree !   @Luvsmyfam  Happy Birthday and Enjoy your day  !

Respected Contributor

@Luvsmyfam   My friend is married to a man 15 years younger than her.  I think that is funny as they went to the same school only she was close to graduating and he was just starting first grade!  Another friend is married to a man 9 years younger than she is.  My brother is married to my DSIL and she is 8 years older than he is.  My ex-husband is married to a woman 14 years younger than him.    A girlfriend is dating a man 15 years younger than she is. So age makes no difference. 

I think you like this man, don't let age stand in your way.  Just make sure you are both on the same page regarding what you want from this relationship.  Ask yourself - do you want to be more than friends and he wants to be just friends or do you both want to have a deeper relationship than just friends.  That should tell you what to do.

Either way go out to dinner with him and have a good time celebrating your birthday.  He thinks enough of you to take you out for your birhday.  Happy Birthday/

Respected Contributor

I think I would act casually and not be serious. I would dress up to look nice nothing too fancy.

Don't see it as a serious thing, just a friendly dinner with someone I know. Tra-la tra-la.

Talk about your day  and ask him about his.

Make simple non serious conversation, maybe something humorous. Order something in the mid range cost and talk about how good the meal is.

At the end of the dinner, thank him and tell him he was so nice to invite you. If you feel relaxed and comfortable, invite him in for coffee. If not, you don't have to.

You will probably relax more when you are together than right now  and you find your self thinking about it  over and over about it.Taking it apart and trying to anticipate the situation.

That's about it. You can do this and actually enjoy it.

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam,

Enjoy your day!

This gif image - Happy Birthday Colorful Gif Animation, is available for free download

Honored Contributor

hmmm....you were going to celebrate your birthday "with your parents and a man friend".  I would treat this as a nice gesture from a friend.  Just have fun and consider it as a casual night out enjoying your friendship.  He will let you know if he is interested.  Happy Birthday!🎂

Honored Contributor

Happy Birthday!  If you have been platonic friends, with no hint of romance, I would NOT consider it a date.  You had plans and it makes perfect sense that the two of you celebrate your birthday.  Don't complicate things, go and just have a nice time.  Don't put unnecessary pressure on yourself.  Even if he meant this to be a date, you would still be two friends celebrating your birthday.  

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids @chrystaltree @phoenixbrd @meallen616 @Flatbush  I thank you for all birthday wishes.i will give a update on outing!