Respected Contributor

People take a chill pill!!!

Carolyn Gracie is about 65, and Dan Hughes, about 62.

Typical retirement age in the US.( average age is 64).

They are both  elegible to start Social Security, and Carolyn, Medicare.

Add a severance package to their retirement savings...why WOULDN'T they take it?

Corporations make offers to incentivize people to retire, ahd they usually make the offer to those who are most likely to accept it.

Especially if it's going to happen anyway ( job cuts).

It's actually a lot more respectful that just tossing someone out the door. Come on now.

The way QVC's sales and stock prices  have been going lately,they must have seen the writing on the wall and waited to see what would be offered.

At thier ages it makes sense...so they took it.

Yes they wrote teary goodbyes on thier social sites, but even those who retire voluntarily have a bittersweet last day. 

They are NOT going to  be found living under a bridge on the PA Turnpike ( where they live in PA).

Imagine it another way.

QVC does NOT survive, and Carolyn and Dan, who clung on to the end, now say "Why DIDN'T I take that generous package when it was offered?!?!?!?"

Sheeesh.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dan and Carolyn Post QVC

@Othereeeen    Well said.  I'm guess QVC compiled a list of all employees eligible for retirement and offered them an incentive.  We know about a long-time stylist who also left but have no way of knowing about others.  They may of had the option of staying.  Sometimes the deal is too good to pass up.

As the two hosts eligible, Carolyn and Dan were chosen.  As they say in Argentina, "don't cry for me QVC forums".

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

There are other aspects besides money involved. They were good at what they did and enjoyed their jobs. That enhances ones quality of life. To be let go when you've given your all towards a job is hurtful. 

I don't know how QVC made their decision to terminate them.. Rick and Mary Beth are about the same age as Carolyn. I just know that there is a big backlash and no people don't have to get over it for now. it will pass just not right now. People are angry and they have a right to vent.

I wrote to corporate and my letter wasn't pretty. What astonished me is that it made it to People online, the news and E online. Corporate had nothing to say of course. 

Honored Contributor

I am 70 and still  working part time, I plan to retire when I want to and not when I am told to. I would be devastated if I got laid off or fired when I am stil lhappy to be working.  Kudos to seniors who still want to be a part of the work place. 

Occasional Contributor

Good Morning All,

I noticed today that Leah Williams wasn't on her Saturday morning show today AM Style.  Did Leah leave too?  I love Leah.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JackieHN 

"Corporate" had a LOT to say.

Google QRTEA ( the stock ticker) and read how Qurate is BLEEDING OUT.

Look at thier financial report for the last quarter, the last year.

If they DON'T do something, it'll be worse for @26,600 employees who still remain.

Rick Domeir and Mary Beth are a little younger than Carolyn and Dan. I don't beleive age had EVERYTHING to do with who was picked....metrics mattered too. Sales and veiwer eyeballs per show.

I know people are "upset' ....it just surprises me how vested people are in TV salespeople.

I'm just not dreamy by nature I guess.

Frequent Contributor

I just saw an ad on Backstage that showed QVC was hiring Hosts--"QVC is seeking charismatic and confident talent to become full-time program hosts."  Why let two popular hosts go and then turn around and put out an ad for hosts?  Oh, I forgot, new hosts would be paid less than the two let go.   I would think the other long time hosts may be wondering who is next. What they should have done is weed out the hosts who do not do a good job at presenting items for sale and act like juveniles.  Just my opinion.

Frequent Contributor

So is 62 or 65 a magic number ? Do you think if your eligible to collect social security and medicare that your of no use in the work force and should retire ? We don't know why they left or if they were forced to leave. If they wanted to leave then I congradulate them, but if they were forced, then shame on QVC and shame on those who are so judgy when it comes to age. 

Honored Contributor

Mary Beth is 63, not sure about Rick. I do know Bobbi Ray on HSN is 70. 

Honored Contributor

Maybe the fact that both have had recent, serious health issues had something to do with their being laid off.  Who knows????