Esteemed Contributor

Daily Positive Thread for Thursday, Sept. 17

Greetings to all! Today was a very warm day, in the 80's! We sat out in the deck for awhile after he got home from work, had left over split pea with ham soup, and it was delicous! Went to the house tonight after supper to pick more raspberries and he set out the recicles out for tomorrow morning.  Our neighbors came over to visit while we were picking raspberries, it was so nice! I told them to pick the rest - this was the last time I'll be picking them, and they said they would.  They are (were) such nice neighbors, who now are friends. We'll keep in touch with them, for sure. May you all have a very blessed Thursday.

It is much harder to see today if you are looking at yesterday. Lord, help
to live and appreciate each moment as I am experiencing it so that I am
prepared more fully for the next moment.

S C R I P T U R E   F O R   T H E   D A Y 

"Put away from you all bitterness and wrath and anger and wrangling and
slander, together with all malice, and be kind to one another,
tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ has forgiven you.
Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children, and live in love, as
Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and
sacrifice to God."  ~Ephesians 4:31-5:2

M E D I T A T I O N   F O R   T H E   D A Y 

We cannot believe in God and keep our selfish ways.  When we believe
more strongly in God, we begin to abandon our selfish ways.  The old
self can shrivel up and die, and God's image can become much clearer.
The gradual elimination of selfishness in the growth of love for God and
our fellow human beings is a wonderful goal in our lives.  As the
picture grows, we can reveal more and more of the likeness of God until
those who see us can see in us the power of God's grace at work in a
human life.

P R A Y E R   F O R   T H E   D A Y 

I pray that I may grow in my likeness to God.  I pray that others may see in
me some of the power of God's grace at work.

My Precious Lord

When daily toils and trials increase,
My Lord gives His abiding peace.

When once-dear friends forsake and flee,
I feel His arms enfolding me.

When I feel lost and all alone,
'Tis then His tender love is shown.

When no one's near to hear my cry,
I know my precious Lord is nigh.

Though I sink low in deep despair,
He shows again His constant care.

When no more pain can I endure,
He gives me hope, steadfast and sure.

And as I lift my heart and pray,
I feel His strength anew each day.

He leads and guides each step I take,
And tells me He will not forsake.

And as I read His Word He feeds
My hungry soul, and fills my needs.

He gives me grace, and so much more!
Some day my ransomed soul shall soar,

And In God's loving arms I'll be
Secure for all eternity!

Written By: Betty Jo Mings

PRECIOUSNESS OF SILENCE

"Lord, set a guard over my mouth;
keep watch at the door of my lips." Ps 141:3

"But Jesus was silent." Mt 26:63

The Silence is Meekness.
When you do not defend yourself against offenses;
When you do not claim your rights;
When you let God defend you;
The Silence is Meekness.

The Silence is Mercy.
When you do not reveal the faults of your brothers to others;
When you readily forgive without inquiring into the past;
When you do not judge, but pray in your heart;
The Silence is Mercy.

The Silence is Patience.
When you accept suffering not with grumbling but joyfully;
When you do not look for human consolations;
When you do not become too anxious, but wait in patience for the seed to germinate;
The Silence is Patience.

The Silence is Humility.
When there is no competition;
When you consider the other person to be better than yourself;
When you let your brothers emerge, grow and mature;
When you joyfully abandon all to the Lord;
When your actions may be misinterpreted;
When you leave to others the glory of the enterprise;
The Silence is Humility.

The Silence is Faith.
When you keep quiet because you know that the Lord will act;
When you renounce the voice of the world to remain in the presence of the Lord;
When you do not labour yourself to be understood;
because it is enough for you to know that the Lord understands you;
The Silence is Faith.

The Silence is Adoration.
When you embrace the cross without asking "Why?";
The Silence is Adoration.

"But Jesus was silent."

From the Missionaries of Charity Prayer Book

Patrick's Scripture Reflection
Today's readings 9/16/15
1Tm.3:14-16;  Ps.111:1-6;  Lk.7:31-35 

In today's Gospel Jesus points out a very serious flaw in our human nature, one He assures us can be overcome if we humble ourselves and rely on the Wisdom of God rather than our own understanding. We may not want to admit it but whenever we encounter someone or something we don't understand we tend to attack and undermine them the way we hear Jesus describe, if things don't go "our way" there are times when we make sure they don't go anyone's way, and I don't think it's very hard to see the ugly face of foolish pride in that kind of behavior. In our first reading St.Paul reminds us that we all "know how to behave...", not just "...in the church of God" but out in the world where we spend most of our time, and the Divine Wisdom revealed to us in scripture offers us all the instructions we need to do so. The truth is those who are grounded in God's Word aren't afraid of people or things they don't understand because they know God is present in everything, even in life's darkest moments they know He is there to show them the way, and so rather than attack what we don't understand we would be much better served if we looked for the hidden Wisdom of God in the midst of our confusion. I assure you He will make Himself known if we look for Him in faith, and like Jesus says His Wisdom will "vindicate" and uphold us when our human understanding fails.

God bless you,
In Jesus - Pat

THE PROMISE

There was once a man who lived a pretty normal life. He never thought he was a bad person, but he wouldn't let anyone run over him either. Then one day God touched his heart and the man accepted Jesus Christ as his personal Savior. The man was so overjoyed with his new feeling that he promised the Lord that he would tell everyone he met about Jesus and lead at least 100 people to this great thing he had found.

But the man soon found that leading people to Christ was not an easy thing to do. Most of his friends thought he was crazy and soon distanced themselves from him. The man almost gave up several times, but he would still tell anyone he could about the Good News and how it had changed his life and filled him with such peace and happiness.

Then the man died.

The man found himself in a room. All the things that he had done and said in his lifetime, all the bad things he had done, all the bad thoughts he had had all came back to him and was flashed before him in a moment of time.

Then he saw a vision of himself, the time he got saved, he saw himself there on his knees promising God that he would spread the Gospel to at least 100 people.

The man fell to his knees and wept.

Then Jesus stood before the man and told him, "Arise my child, and tell me why you weep?" The man answered, "Lord, I have committed all these terrible things in my life, and I have even lied to you." The Lord looked puzzled and asked the man, "How have you lied to Me?" "I promised you that I would lead 100 people to you Lord, and even though I tried with all my might, I did not lead one single person to you. I broke my promise to you and lied to you."

Then Jesus smiled at the man and wiped the tears from his eyes, "My child, you did not break your promise to Me." The man said, "But Lord, I did not lead one single person to you!" Jesus answered, "My child, do you remember the time in the restaurant when you sat down to eat, and you prayed, thanking The Father for your food? Well, there was a lady sitting in that same restaurant. The lady was sick with sin, and even though I had tried to reach her several times, she ignored Me. She was thinking of going home and taking her life, and she was planning to take her children's lives too. But this lady saw you pray, and it broke her heart. A door opened in that lady's heart, and she allowed Me to come in.

The lady went home, and instead of ending her life, she accepted Me and asked Me to take control of her life. This woman found her faith, and she showed it to every one she knew, including her children, and when they became ready, they asked Me to take control of their lives. One of the children grew up to become a powerful evangelist and led many to Me. So My child, be of good cheer. You kept your promise. Your small but consistent acts of faith led not 100, but 100,000 to Me."

The man was overjoyed, but still he felt guilt. 'My Lord," he said, "What about all those other bad things I have done?" Jesus then smiled and said, "Don't worry about those, I paid the price for you. You see, we both kept the promises we made."

--Author Unknown

September 16 - Jesus Calling

Self-pity is a slimy, bottomless pit. Once you fall in, you tend to go deeper and deeper into the mire. As you slide down those slippery walls, you are well on your way to depression, and the darkness is profound.

Your only hope is to look up and see the Light of My Presence shining down on you. Though the Light looks dim from your perspective, deep in the pit, those rays of hope can reach you at any depth. While you focus on Me in trust, you rise ever so slowly out of the abyss of despair. Finally, you can reach up and grasp My hand. I will pull you out into the Light again. I will gently cleanse you, washing off the clinging mire. I will cover you with My righteousness and walk with you down the path of Life.

He also brought me up out of a horrible pit, Out of the miry clay,  And set my feet upon a rock, And established my steps.  He has put a new song in my mouth—Praise to our God; Many will see it and fear, And will trust in the Lord. 
- Psalm 40:2-3

Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him For the help of His countenance. 
- Psalm 42:5

The Lord takes pleasure in those who fear Him, In those who hope in His mercy.
- Psalm 147:11
Regular Contributor

Re: Daily Positive Thread for Thursday, Sept. 17

Hi Gloria,  we are up early to get ready to go to hospital.  Today is my DH procedure for kidney stones. Would appreciate any and all prayers that it goes well.  Thank you, as always....Marmot

Trusted Contributor

Marmot, your hubby is in my prayers.

I had mine blasted well over 20 years ago.

I don't know if they still do it the same way.

But it wasn't bad.

Blessings to all.

Harlene(lovestopaint)

Esteemed Contributor

Marmot, just prayed the "Memorare" for him.  Hope all went well.

Harlene, hope your kitty is better and can live a long time.  Pets are wonderful!  Sammy, being 11, we know his time isn't too much longer, sadly.  He coughs a lot due to congestive heart failure.  His arthritis in his leg doesn't seem to bother him anymore. He gets up and down those 20 steps to go out very well.  The steps are very close to our apartment. The elevator is a ways.

Trusted Contributor

That was a very clever little girl, Gloria.

You know Sammy is in my prayers.

Blessings

Harlene

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello friends.....It is time for Christians to stand up and speak out to hang on to our Christian beliefs...We are losing it all.  The pope come next week.  I won't be watching the TV to see him.  Have a good day.  I am blessed due to my recent eye exam that turned out well.  Jesus be praised!