Esteemed Contributor

Daily Positive Thread for Saturday, August 8, 2015

Greetings to all!  Here's wishing you all a good evening and a blessed Saturday all day! Remember to count your blessings - as there are many, and we don't want to take them all for granted.  It was a blessing having Lori and Jeremy over for supper tonight - again, everything except the pork roast was from the garden,all blessings from God!  Can you name at least one blessing besides your family?

We are judged by our actions, not by our intentions.  Lord, may I show
my love for You through charity and goodness toward others.  

S C R I P T U R E   F O R   T H E   D A Y  

"Where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them."
~Matthew 18:20

M E D I T A T I O N   F O R   T H E   D A Y 

"Where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them."
When God finds two or three of us in union, who only want God's will to
be done, who want only to serve God, God has a plan that can be revealed
to them. The grace of God can come to people who are together in one
place with one accord.  A union like this is miracle-working.  God is
able to use such people.  Only good can come through such consecrated
people, brought together in unified groups for a single purpose and of a
single mind.

P R A Y E R   F O R   T H E   D A Y  

I pray that I may be part of a unified group.  I pray that I may
contribute my share to its consecrated purpose.

Extra Prayer

When the world falls down around you
And a prayer will see you through, 
Say an extra prayer for someone
Who may need it more than you.

For who knows what hearts are breaking
In the silence of the night?
Just that extra prayer you whisper
May help someone see the light!

Every time you help a stranger
With an extra prayer - or two -
You are building secret blessings
That will all come back to you!

ANNA AND PETER 
Author Unknown 

Anna and Peter lived happily with their children in a fine house, and Peter held a responsible job in the city. The harmony between the two was a source of strength and joy to each and of edification to everyone who know them. To symbolize their mutual love, Peter planted a rose bush. This flourished, and annually it was covered with glorious roses. 

It happened that one day Anna accused Peter of gambling away a large part of his wages, for of late he seemed never to have any money on hand. Peter laughed and began to joke about the matter. She became furious and bounced out of the room slamming the door. Over the next few days, any attempt on his part to speak to her was rudely rejected, and he became very depressed. As time went by, they became more and more isolated from one another, meals were an ordeal and no longer did they enjoy one another's company in the evenings. Even the children were affected by the growing unhappiness of their parents. Soon the situation arose where the original quarrel was forgotten, and a curtain of polite hostility developed, real communication between Anna and Peter ceased, and bitterness entered their hearts. And the rose ceased to bloom. 

Peter became ill, and although Anna served his needs, she found she could not get close to him; she was not able to break through the crust of ice which froze her heart. Finally, after a brief illness, Peter died. There was an unexpected crowd of strangers at the graveside. After the burial several of these came to her and spoke of Peter's kindness and generosity in helping them in their need. She hurried home, and found the rose had started to bloom once again. With bursting heart, she entered the house. Near the hall stand were Peter's jogging shoes just as she had thrown them down a few days before. 

She picked them up and held them close to her heart, and then wept as she had never wept before.

IDENTIFICATION

Author Unknown

His name is Bill. He has wild hair, wears a T-shirt with holes in it, jeans, and no shoes. This was literally his wardrobe for his entire four years of college. He is brilliant. Kind of esoteric and very, very bright. He became a Christian while attending college.

Across the street from the campus is a well-dressed, very conservative church. They want to develop a ministry to the students, but are not sure how to go about it.

One day Bill decides to go there. He walks in with no shoes, jeans, his T-shirt, and wild hair. The service has already started and so Bill starts down the aisle looking for a seat. The church is completely packed and he can't find a seat. By now, people are really looking a bit uncomfortable, but no one says anything.

Bill gets closer and closer and closer to the pulpit, and when he realizes there are no seats, he just squats down right on the carpet. (Although perfectly acceptable behavior at a college fellowship, trust me, this had never happened in this church before!)

By now the people are really uptight, and the tension in the air is thick. About this time, the minister realizes that from way at the back of the church, a deacon is slowly making his way toward Bill. Now the deacon is in his eighties, has silver-gray hair, and a three-piece suit. A godly man, very elegant, very dignified, and very courtly. He walks with a cane and, as he starts walking toward this boy, everyone is saying to themselves that you can't blame him for what he's going to do.

How can you expect a man of his age and of his background to understand some college kid on the floor?

It takes a long time for the man to reach the boy. The church is utterly silent except for the clicking of the man's cane. All eyes are focused on him. You can't even hear anyone breathing. The minister can't even preach the sermon until the deacon does what he has to do. And now they see this elderly man drop his cane on the floor. With great difficulty, he lowers himself and sits down next to Bill and worships with him so he won't be alone.

Everyone chokes up with emotion. When the minister gains control, he says, "What I'm about to preach, you will never remember. What you have just seen, you will never forget.

Prayer

"Heavenly Father, form in me the likeness of your Son and deepen his life within me that I may be like him in word and deed. Help me to live the gospel faithfully and give me strength and courage to not shrink back in the face of adversity and temptation."

August 7 - Jesus Calling

Understanding will never bring you Peace. That’s why I have instructed you to trust in Me, not in your understanding. Human beings have a voracious appetite for trying to figure things out, in order to gain a sense of mastery over their lives. But the world presents you with an endless series of problems. As soon as you master one set, another pops up to challenge you. The relief you had anticipated is short-lived. Soon your mind is gearing up again: searching for understanding (mastery), instead of seeking Me (your Master).

The wisest of all men, Solomon, could never think his way through to Peace. His vast understanding resulted in feelings of futility, rather than in fulfillment. Finally, he lost his way and succumbed to the will of his wives by worshiping idols.

My Peace is not an elusive goal, hidden at the center of some complicated maze. Actually, you are always enveloped in Peace, which is inherent in My Presence. As you look to Me, you gain awareness of this precious Peace.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
—Proverbs 3:5–6

Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
—Romans 5:1

Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you.
—2 Thessalonians 3:16

Prayer to Saint Anthony of Padua 

Dear Saint Anthony, you are the patron of the poor and the helper of all who seek lost articles. Help me to find the object I have lost so that I will be able to make better use of the time I will gain for God's greater honor and glory. Grant your gracious aid to all people who seek what they have lost - especially those who seek to regain God's grace. Amen.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Daily Positive Thread for Saturday, August 8, 2015

Regular Contributor

Hi Gloria,  We always say "Worry brings tomorrow's clouds on today's sunshine." Hope and pray you have a wonderful weekend.

Esteemed Contributor

marmot24 - that's the truth, isn't it!  Padre Pio says, if you pray, why worry? Of you worry, why pray?