Honored Contributor

Re: DO You Remember This?????

Yes!  I'm 70 and my mother had a wringer washing machine until I was in my teens at least.  I remember sometimes the clothing would get stuck going through the wringer.  Those were the days!

Trusted Contributor

I remember well. My grandmother had one along with the wooden washboard and metal washtub. She hung her clothes outside in Indiana or in basement in winter. Grandfather finally bought her a dryer which amazed her, then later a Maytag washer. Those were the days when women were real workhorses. Kept them healthy without fancy gym memberships. 😉. I'm 75. 

Regular Contributor

When my family moved from an apartment to a house in 1963 my mom asked my dad to buy a washer (the laundromat got old fast).  He bought one like this; I guess it is what he grew up with.  He did not buy a dryer. One of the first household jobs I remember learning was how to hang clothes on the line, and later, how to put them through the ringer without getting my fingers caught (we had this for a few years).

Hanging clothes in the basement in Cleveland, Ohio in the winter isn't fun and sometimes the clothes would freeze.  In better weather we hung them outside, but living in the "hood" somebody (of a decent age) always had to be home.  If a house looked empty, your clothes might get stolen.  I remember running to grab them off the line when a sudden rain came.  

After a few years of this fun, we got a standard top loading washer and front loading dryer.  BTW, my dad was a school teacher and by the mid-60s my mom worked full time too.  We were not rich, but not impoverished.  My dad was just stuck in the past with old ideas.  My mom grew up in the country and her grandmother did laundry using a washboard in the backyard.  But being a lot younger than my dad she was more open to "new" ideas.  I'm 63-years old and yeah, "modern" machines existed then but the old ones were still around and some of us had the "fun" of using them.

These days,  I do not do laundry.  Since I moved to NYC in 1987, I take them to a laundromat, pay whatever, and go pick it up the next day nicely washed and folded.  

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I barely remember this at about age 4!!!Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I barely remember this at about age 4!!!Smiley Happy

Yes I remember this well it's what I had as a first when I got married. And Yes, I'm ****** near 87

Super Contributor

I'm 46 and my grandmother had one!  They were farmers with 6 children so money was tight.  They had a word burning kitchen stove too!  

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Honored Contributor

72 here...know it's a clothes washer, but never saw one in person or had in our house growing up. 

Honored Contributor

My grandmother had hers on the back porch and it would drain into the backyard.

Respected Contributor

@Maloyo 

So that's where that old adage comes from." She's been put through the wringer." Its amazing how many people have responded just on this thread, and have experienced trauma from this item! Sounds horrifying ! I never saw one and I'd like to keep it that way! 😆  When we look back at all the dangerous items that paved the way for today's modern appliances, it's amazing we survived!  for example, the old fashion fans. bye bye fingers! 

Respected Contributor

Yes I remeber us having one and I'm 51 years old. LOL!!!