Esteemed Contributor

Re: DO YOU THINK YOU ARE OLD?

I sure don't want to think I'm getting old. I'll have my second retirement (education both times - 2012 & 2021) in February 2021 and I'm going to guard my attitude and try to be brave regarding accepting change and continuing to use technology. I listen to the women in my neighborhood book club - maintenance provided patio homes. We range in age from 55 to 80. I can say some of the 70s and 80s 'seem' younger than the complaining, bitter 50s and early 60s ladies. I'm learning by observing all these ladies. And you know, sometimes we just don't feel well. I understand that. 

2020 has brought fewer smiles to my face. I think laughter and smiles makes us appear younger. We all have faces that say YES or NO. Hubs had covid twice this year. Once was spring and no problem, but isolated. In early fall he caught it from my daughter in airline industry and was hurting for 3 weeks. Not hospitalized. Isolated. He was weak and lost 20 pounds. His breathing was affected. Much better now, thankfully! He turned completely gray (mid 60s) and is still tired. He told me the other day he's aged in 2020. Same year he retired. He still has his humor and positive outlook. We're both looking forward to better days ahead.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Valued Contributor

@CJC wrote:

76 here. I didn't feel old until I lost my 100 year old mom 5 years ago. I think as long as you have a living parent you don't feel elderly. Things change when you become the oldest and step up to that Heavenly turnstile. 😉

@CJC 

You are 100% correct!  Dad died when I was 40 and Mom died when I was 56.  Once I hit 60, I wanted to be out of the workplace.  Thank goodness I am!  

I have one sibling left age 80.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

I'm loving all the replies. At 72, I compare myself to "The Colonel"...Original Recipe & eh, sometimes crispy. 

When the bag guy at the food store first offered to help take my groceries to the car, wanted to shake him! I also didn't like when people started calling me "Ma'am". Both are a "sign".

At Temple one night, at the door a young man grabbed the back of my arm as if I needed assistance to my seat. He had a few bruises. 

Knocking on wood as I say this, but so far no aches, pains, serious illnesses or weird sounds when I get out of bed. I have checked for a "wet spot" just to be sure THAT has not started yet. 😜 

There are times folks take it for granted that your age isn't just a number. At the gym, I was automatically put in the senior yoga class...liability, they said. 

If I can't reach the cereal I want on the top shelf at Target, I'm used to standing on the end of the bottom shelf on my tippy toes to get it myself. I've had to do that all my life. Now a "stocker" sprints over to talk me down...again, I guess liability. 

I feel pretty lucky. I think about my Mom at 72. She had given up golf, stopped reading and going to her weekly book group. When I visited, we used to walk from their house all around her small town (Pinehurst, NC) and sometimes end up at the coffee shop for a cappuccino and croissant. By 72, she feared tripping over pine cones, getting out of breath, etc. Dad, 8 yrs. older, was home w/ the car and I tried to convince her I could call from my cell & he could pick us up at any time she wanted to go back. She did not have a cell phone...did not want to bother figuring it out and said if she had an emergency while out doing errands, she'd flag someone down.

Mom had a computer she shared with Dad. She checked her email and could reply, but that was it. She had to call me to order something online or every time pictures of the grandchildren were sent with the email, I'd have to talk her through opening an attachment. She never worked outside the home and had no need for what she referred to as "gadgets".

Mom was a good lesson for me how to stay "young". I keep my mind and body active. Yes, sometimes it's cold or dark for a walk, but I dress accordingly and get out the door. I'm an avid reader and stay informed with current events so I can have intelligent conversations. I'm somewhat rebellious about wearing my jeans with a hole in the knee (came that way, did not wear them out) & black high top sneakers with my pearls. I was even giving thought to a red lip before COVID and mask wearing. 

I'll keep up with my makeup/skincare business and making jewelry or painting until I can no longer trek up the stairs to my studio. 

I remember at 12 years old, I'd rather croak than go into the drugstore for tampons. I'm sure I'll feel the same way about hauling my large bag of Depends to the counter, BUT not needed yet. Like Scarlett, "I'll think about it tomorrow".

Loved your post.  I miss my friend who was 8 years older than me - she passed years ago but was such a resource for what was cool.  

Before I retired, I did electronic douments with people on the phone. These were seniors who were getting home improvement loans.  95% of the people (husband/wife) only had one email that they shared.  Or, the account was set up in the husband's name and he would say "here, talk to my wife."  I am so glad DH and I are both savvy and I am WAY more than my mom was.  My mom didn't drive but did manage 17 years on her own after my dad passed.  

I like it that you have 'holey' jeans - good for you.  I can't do that one Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Some people will never be "old".

"Accidental Icon"

Lyn Slater, 65, is the author of popular fashion blog 'Accidental Icon'. If Jack Nicholson, the epitome of cool, were a woman, he would be Lyn Slater. Lyn Slater, also known as Accidental Icon, is a 65-year-old social media sensation.

See the source image

Respected Contributor

Depends on the day if I feel old or not. Some days i can jump up full of energy like I'm 21. Then others days just getting up from a seated position is hard without aches and pains.

Contributor

I'll be 50 next year, while I don't really feel old, I am amazed at how quickly times goes by.

I tell my daughter in college all the time, the days and nights are sometimes long, but the years go by fast.  

I am  very thankful for every breath I am blessed with, and I intend to count my blessings as long as I live.  I decided a long time ago that I'll never have a "bad day", because I believe every day is a Blessing.  I sure have had days that bad or sad things have happened.  My blessing have outweighted my troubles, though.

Honored Contributor

@tarsmom   Sorry about your friend. I think we all had/have someone who influenced our inner "cool". I do get the "side eye" from some people when I wear my jeans with holes. Oh well. 💕

Valued Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

My experience is you either grow old or die young.  Nearly thirty years ago, I had a cancer with less than 1% chance of a one-year survival.   I’m not old, I’m blessed.

Bless your heart!!!!!! Heart

Valued Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

I sure don't want to think I'm getting old. I'll have my second retirement (education both times - 2012 & 2021) in February 2021 and I'm going to guard my attitude and try to be brave regarding accepting change and continuing to use technology. I listen to the women in my neighborhood book club - maintenance provided patio homes. We range in age from 55 to 80. I can say some of the 70s and 80s 'seem' younger than the complaining, bitter 50s and early 60s ladies. I'm learning by observing all these ladies. And you know, sometimes we just don't feel well. I understand that. 

2020 has brought fewer smiles to my face. I think laughter and smiles makes us appear younger. We all have faces that say YES or NO. Hubs had covid twice this year. Once was spring and no problem, but isolated. In early fall he caught it from my daughter in airline industry and was hurting for 3 weeks. Not hospitalized. Isolated. He was weak and lost 20 pounds. His breathing was affected. Much better now, thankfully! He turned completely gray (mid 60s) and is still tired. He told me the other day he's aged in 2020. Same year he retired. He still has his humor and positive outlook. We're both looking forward to better days ahead.    

So glad your husband is ok! Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

When I die I will consider myself old since that's as old as I get.  :-)  Can't get any older if I'm dead so, yeah I'll be old at that point.