Honored Contributor

Re: DO YOU THINK YOU ARE OLD?

Some of the radio music I choose, is "the oldies"   ehm!!

You're as old as you feel, so really, it varies.

Honored Contributor

No, I don't think it, I know it!  I didn't really think I was old-old, until I retired --- then I realized --- hey, you're old!  Actually, when I worked, I was one of the oldest people there and the "youngsters" constsantly reminded me that I was old!  I told them --- laugh it up, kids, you'll be here before you know it!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I'm dealing with my mortality given this year is one of death and suffering. I am almost 67 and very active.  People have always guessed me to be much younger but age is finally starting to catch up around my eyes and mouth.  Smiley Happy  I look in the mirror and see Mom.

Honored Contributor

When it comes to current music and Hollywood stars, I know nothing and feel ancient. My oldies radio station plays Barry Manilow on an hourly basis and I know all the words. 

Trusted Contributor

76 here. I didn't feel old until I lost my 100 year old mom 5 years ago. I think as long as you have a living parent you don't feel elderly. Things change when you become the oldest and step up to that Heavenly turnstile. 😉

Honored Contributor

I'm loving all the replies. At 72, I compare myself to "The Colonel"...Original Recipe & eh, sometimes crispy. 

When the bag guy at the food store first offered to help take my groceries to the car, wanted to shake him! I also didn't like when people started calling me "Ma'am". Both are a "sign".

At Temple one night, at the door a young man grabbed the back of my arm as if I needed assistance to my seat. He had a few bruises. 

Knocking on wood as I say this, but so far no aches, pains, serious illnesses or weird sounds when I get out of bed. I have checked for a "wet spot" just to be sure THAT has not started yet. 😜 

There are times folks take it for granted that your age isn't just a number. At the gym, I was automatically put in the senior yoga class...liability, they said. 

If I can't reach the cereal I want on the top shelf at Target, I'm used to standing on the end of the bottom shelf on my tippy toes to get it myself. I've had to do that all my life. Now a "stocker" sprints over to talk me down...again, I guess liability. 

I feel pretty lucky. I think about my Mom at 72. She had given up golf, stopped reading and going to her weekly book group. When I visited, we used to walk from their house all around her small town (Pinehurst, NC) and sometimes end up at the coffee shop for a cappuccino and croissant. By 72, she feared tripping over pine cones, getting out of breath, etc. Dad, 8 yrs. older, was home w/ the car and I tried to convince her I could call from my cell & he could pick us up at any time she wanted to go back. She did not have a cell phone...did not want to bother figuring it out and said if she had an emergency while out doing errands, she'd flag someone down.

Mom had a computer she shared with Dad. She checked her email and could reply, but that was it. She had to call me to order something online or every time pictures of the grandchildren were sent with the email, I'd have to talk her through opening an attachment. She never worked outside the home and had no need for what she referred to as "gadgets".

Mom was a good lesson for me how to stay "young". I keep my mind and body active. Yes, sometimes it's cold or dark for a walk, but I dress accordingly and get out the door. I'm an avid reader and stay informed with current events so I can have intelligent conversations. I'm somewhat rebellious about wearing my jeans with a hole in the knee (came that way, did not wear them out) & black high top sneakers with my pearls. I was even giving thought to a red lip before COVID and mask wearing. 

I'll keep up with my makeup/skincare business and making jewelry or painting until I can no longer trek up the stairs to my studio. 

I remember at 12 years old, I'd rather croak than go into the drugstore for tampons. I'm sure I'll feel the same way about hauling my large bag of Depends to the counter, BUT not needed yet. Like Scarlett, "I'll think about it tomorrow".

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart   If it makes you feel any better, you're not alone with this. I think 2020 aged us all a bit and when put in the "risk group", made us have to think about age and mortality. 

I always get away looking much younger, too. I think because I'm small, dress young, and have a spring in my step. Even with my silver hair, people say, "Wow, you went grey awfully young". I just smile and shake my little silver ponytail. 

Honored Contributor

HILARIOUS!!!!!! Printed the crispy one out for my refer

Trusted Contributor

I don't think I'm old until I look in the mirror😄

Jessa
Esteemed Contributor

@Jessa9 wrote:

I don't think I'm old until I look in the mirror😄

@Jessa9 

Do you ever look in the mirror and think "oh.... it must be the way the light is coming in the window"? So just to be sure you go look in another mirror...and it's like "oh God".