Respected Contributor

Re: DO YOU THINK YOU ARE OLD?

I'm older but not old.

Honored Contributor

@Liverbird1 wrote:

We did not consider ourselves old when we went out for lunch until the server said "would you like the senior menu".

We laughed so much as she thought she was being helpful but we felt insulted .So funny now we know we are old .

@Liverbird1   I now get my senior discount without having to ask😄

Esteemed Contributor

Well, at 72 I sure can't think of myself as young! Normally I don't think about it too much, but I have to admit that when I see a photo on Facebook of someone I graduated from high school with, I tend to compare them to me....do they look older, younger or about the same! I  don't like thinking of myself as "old" and I don't think of myself as elderly!

Respected Contributor

I KNOW I'm old, even when others say,"Oh you're still young."  If you have to say still...well. I hate the term 50 is the new 40.

B S !! 40 is 40 and 50 is 50!  I hate that they hold up certain older celebrities and we're all supposed to be as active as they are and look as good as they do; although we haven't lived the luxurious livestyles they've have. Most of us don't have the means to have cosmetic surgery, personal chefs and trainers. Most of us have worked hard, and have gotten our hands dirty and it's taken a toll on us.  We haven't been making a living tap dancing, and cracking jokes, and acting all our lives, like Dic Van Dike, Betty White, Jane Fonda and Cher, to name a few. So yes, I'm old, and I'm not in denial. Just because I may not be in pain doesn't mean I'm not old.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

Too 😍 cute!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I just turned 65, and no I don't feel old, but know I am now perceived to be "old" by many others.  

I have yet to have that birthday where I am upset about the number, but this last one sure did come with a lot of prep work and aggravation, as in filing for Medicare, SS, and renewing my drivers license.  

I appreciate being 65 and where I am in life; no regrets, no complaints.   Some days are tough but they're still good, and I intend to keep going until I take my last breath.   

Super Contributor

I turned 81 last month, so by most peoples standards, I'm old.  However, compared to my neighbors and acquaintances, I'm in darn good shape and health.  I'm at least 5 years older than just about everyone I know and run circles around them.  They all have health issues of one sort or another and I'm the only one that walks everyday, 7 days a week.  So in my mind "no", I'm not old, they are!!

Trusted Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I read some place when you hit 70 you are officially elderly (a word I hate).

oh, no! I hit it on Friday. I think of my mother as elderly, not me. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Great post!

I worked with SO many young people - it was hard.  They would talk about stars or shows that I wasn't familiar with - I felt like I was 100!  Now that I'm not seeing them on a daily basis I feel better about myself.  My boss was 30 for goodness sakes!

Just turned 65 this month.  I compare myself to my mother at this age.  My husband and I ride a motorcycle (I'm on the back) and my son just surprised me with a private horseback ride for my birthday.  I have to admit it's been since I was in my 40's that I've been on a horse and it was a bit daunting (especially dismounting!).  But I landed on both feet without twisting my ankles Smiley Happy

My mother and MIL were "old" at 65.  They wore 'old lady' clothes and wouldn't be caught dead on a horse or a motorcycle.  LOL

I feel younger than my friends and know I am blessed to be upright and in good health.  My ankles are getting weaker and I have arthritis in my hands.  Hard to experience those changes when I was so peppy (always walking fast, taking stairs two at a time).  

My mom and MIL both lived into their 90s.  My mom had her teeth, no hearing aids, no cane or walker.  It's also hard seeing my DH getting "old".  I guess we need to count our blessings we're still here!

Honored Contributor

That makes me super-crispy.