Honored Contributor

I've been taking naps for a few months lately.  I've never been a "napper," but if I lie down, off I go.  I really don't like it because it has upset my circadian rythm and I find it harder to get to sleep at night.  Last night it was well after 3 AM before I got to sleep, but I still awoke at 7 AM.  I guess that means another nap today, but I will try not to lie down.  I had my sleep cycle down for so many years.

I have a speech therapist coming today (first visit) to help me with my coughing, choking, swallowing, etc., issues.  Too bad I am feeling so tired.  I probably won't be able to remember much.

So I guess the answer is no . . . I am napping, but I don't love it. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD: Really disappointed with the doctor appointment. He indicated thyroid levels much better because previously over active. I still stressed the energy issues and hair problems. He is scheduling a sleep study and thankfully it can be done at home. He wanted to see the results from this but believes that I am worn out being a caregiver. I just researched multivitamins and ordered the Geritol brand to see if that might help. Just read on another thread about hair loss and several suggestions insisted on seeing a dermatologist and will probably try this after the sleep study and another doctor appointment. Thanks for the information and concern. Southern Bee 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus

At my age, a nap is a necessity, even if it is a short one.  Especially in the summer. 

Besides, I always have the nicest dreams - I'm always young and mobile and enjoying life. I always look forward to my naptime.

Honored Contributor

Re: DO YOU LOVE A GOOD NAP?

[ Edited ]

Just answering the O/P's question.  I haven't read any of the other replies.

'All I know' is that the folks I know/knew who lived to be 95+ all take/took a daily nap, mostly between 1pm and 3pm.  For an hour or an hour and a half.

It would be another interesting study/survey.

Do daily naps prolong/extend lifespans?

(Just my personal observations.)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee  I hope your Dr has shared your thyroid numbers with you from start to what they are today so you too have seen them. Hair loss, just throwing this out to you - do you use WEN by chance? I used to thru my intro of low thyroid activity. I was losing hair using WEN but I certainly do not fully attribute hair loss to WEN but I know it did  not help because when I stopped it my hair stopped coming out at shampoo/shower time. Just a t hought...

Continued better health Ms Bee.

Valued Contributor
Yes, I do sometimes. I go to bed late and get up early so even a 20 minute power nap helps a lot.
Honored Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@Shanus

At my age, a nap is a necessity, even if it is a short one.  Especially in the summer. 

Besides, I always have the nicest dreams - I'm always young and mobile and enjoying life. I always look forward to my naptime.

@Georgiagrama  I can’t remember not loving a nap. I have good dreams, too....usually creative dreams & keep sketch pad & pencil nearby. DH doesn’t like ceiling fan too high at night. When it’s nap time, I crank it up high & get under the comforter....so wonderful.

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Just answering the O/P's question.  I haven't read any of the other replies.

'All I know' is that the folks who lived to be 95+ all take/took a daily nap, mostly between 1pm and 3pm.  For an hour or an hour and a half.

It would be another interesting study/survey.

Do daily naps prolong lifespans?

@ROMARY  Haven’t read any data, but any activity that rests the body & mind, eliminates stress, cuts calories (can’t eat while sleeping lol) and leaves you feeling refreshed must give you a few extra years!!!

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD: Doctor did not give the thyroid levels and checked the patient email info and test results were not listed but will try to get the information. I used Wen several years ago for a little while and did not notice hair loss at the time but didn’t help hair and made it very dry and only used about 1/2 bottle. Still trying different products for better results. I started taking the Geritol multi vitamins Saturday night and hoping this will help. Took a two hour nap this afternoon and still very sleepy and no energy. Praying that I will feel better tomorrow. Thank you for your information and appreciate any suggestions. Southern Bee